All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-06-2016, 10:10 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Default Leading panels by Gene Winfield.

Leading tips from an old master, Gene Winfield. In his eighties and still doing his thing . ~ John Buchtenkirch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87fuTnBS2bE

Last edited by John Buchtenkirch; 08-06-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:03 AM

Gene's shop is about 20 miles from my house. I've been there a few time's. I even demonstrated my planishing hammer and Helve during one of his classes. Very cool guy and he has more stamina at 80 than I have at 30. He's a workaholic. And there's always a bunch of cool cars there.

Kyle
Old 08-07-2016, 09:33 AM

I wonder why he bumped up the low spots after leading the panel? I seems like the proper way would be to bump up the low spots before leading. What am I missing?
Old 08-07-2016, 10:02 AM

Jim, I think that he was just illustrating that the lead has such a good bond to the base metal and it is flexible enough that bumping up a low spot is something that can be done if you have a small low spot and don't want to add more lead. Dan
Old 08-07-2016, 10:21 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRussell View Post
I wonder why he bumped up the low spots after leading the panel? I seems like the proper way would be to bump up the low spots before leading. What am I missing?
He said one advantage of lead is you can bump up a low spot discovered after leading that could cause problems if you tried the same thing with plastic (Bondo). The lead is so soft it will just grow a bit with the panel underneath. I’d say he was just showing this for demonstration purposes to show that lead has some positive points for all its extra trouble, not to encourage poor metal finishing under the lead.

If you ever saw the “monster garage” episode where they chopped & sectioned an early fifties Chevy you would see Gene is an excellent metal worker and also works as fast as someone half his age . ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 08-07-2016, 11:24 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRussell View Post
Jim,
On some panels - those that are larger and unsupported by geometry or seams - the heat of tinning and leading causes them to go out of shape somewhat, in addition to some contraction when the lead cools. It's difficult to estimate these accurately enough to add extra when hot, and very difficult to touch up when you are doing finish filing. Bumping is somewhat better, but even that has risks, so you see some guys using "cold filler" or "wonder butter" over their leadwork.

(ps, Hot loading from a hotpot can be better - when using a big diameter torch flame - 1- 1.5inch diameter - because it heats larger areas more evenly. A Brents gun can also help fair in the missed lows, or a Star gun - but maybe even Gene does not use those....? Dunno, but out of Eastwood's market range, anyway. Sales would be very low because of the skill and volume needed.)

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:18 PM

Thanks guys. I was not questioning Gene's ability - I know he's one of the best - just wondering why he bumped the panel after leading. You gentlemen explained it very well.