All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-08-2013, 03:58 PM

Default Best budget English Wheel

Hi Guys,

I'm not going to rush into buying one as I want to get the best one I can afford but have been on the look out for a budget English wheel for a while now. My budget is about £1000, would be hard for me to justify spending too much than that. I'd like to get an old one but if I can't is there one in my price range that people would recommend?

There's this one at the bottom of the page which looks to be a Lazze copy but not sure if they are any good: http://canyontrailtools.com/english%20wheel.htm
Old 01-08-2013, 04:31 PM

Or as I'm in the UK would the best idea be to buy this set of wheels etc and make a frame: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Complete-3...item337ef6f05c

Is there any good options here in the UK?

Any advice and help would be really appreciated.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:34 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec 2010, Sept 2015, Jan 2016

Hi Mitch,

that's a good machine for it's money, far more better than the yellow one.

Cheaper would be making one yourself but you have to have the possibillities to do so.Lots of info about wheeling machines on this forum in fact the founder builds one of the best machines there are and is willing to give you all the info.

Ben
Old 01-08-2013, 04:43 PM

The machine in your first post is on sale in The Netherlands for 599 Euros or about 485 pounds. I have no idea if these English wheels are any good.

http://www.hbm-machines.com/comasy/t...productid=6152
Old 01-08-2013, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Mitch, do yourself a lifetime favor and build it yourself. Read the Ewheel build tutorials and the many build logs from folks who have cloned ours. If you can weld, you can build a really nice one cheaper than that POS. Buy rollers from Hoosier, build your own adjuster.

You're a big boy...you can do whatever you want...but you did ask for advice.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:53 PM

Thanks Ben. I've seen Kerry's designs and they look excellent, being in the UK is going to prevent me buying one though which is disappointing. I have a few projects already on the cards for this year so would prefer not to have to build one but if it means I'll end up with a much better quality wheel that will last me forever than maybe that is the smart option. The Frost wheel looks great but I just couldn't justify the cost.

I've done plenty of fab work over the years but never used an English wheel so will be booking myself onto the MPH Motor Panels for April. So the decision to wait until after then to get a wheel or try and get one before and do some practice. If the second option I wouldn't have time to build one as I need to get my Volvo Amazon back on the road for summer, but after April my parents will be over visiting so maybe the wheel could be a project for my Dad and I.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
Mitch, do yourself a lifetime favor and build it yourself. Read the Ewheel build tutorials and the many build logs from folks who have cloned ours. If you can weld, you can build a really nice one cheaper than that POS. Buy rollers from Hoosier, build your own adjuster.

You're a big boy...you can do whatever you want...but you did ask for advice.
Thanks Kerry, yep advice is what I asked for and is what I'm after. Buying from the net you have no idea of the real quality of such things which makes it hard so advice from you guys is imperative.

Welding a frame etc won't be a problem so does seem like the smart option.

Any particular Hoosier rollers would you recommend for general automotive type work?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khe Sanh View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm not going to rush into buying one as I want to get the best one I can afford but have been on the look out for a budget English wheel for a while now. My budget is about £1000, would be hard for me to justify spending too much than that. I'd like to get an old one but if I can't is there one in my price range that people would recommend?

There's this one at the bottom of the page which looks to be a Lazze copy but not sure if they are any good: http://canyontrailtools.com/english%20wheel.htm
I have 4 E-wheels in my shop
two Lazze wheels ( onley one are my )
one hommade whit 3x3 lower and 9x4 upper bye Hoosier
one Chines ( the one at the topp of your list )

the one I like best are mye hommade !! 3x3 lower do a big difrense !

when I give classes we start of whit making of a bowle, hammer it out in a stump, planishing in E-wheel
the easyest wheel are the hom made, then the cheep Chines
I think the diference are in lower anwil dia ! Lazze wheels are onley 40mm
smal dia are good for plain wheeling, if hammering before wheeling you wil want a larger lower

mye advice, bye the China / Lazze and if you find the lowers to smal, conwert it ti Hoosier lowers, that are my plan for my Lazze wheel

karlfredrik@unneberg-bil.no

Peter Tommasini DVD sett for sale
serie 1-3 http://www.unneberg-bil.no/product/193535
serie 4-6 http://www.unneberg-bil.no/product/193536
Old 01-08-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfs View Post
I have 4 E-wheels in my shop
two Lazze wheels ( onley one are my )
one hommade whit 3x3 lower and 9x4 upper bye Hoosier
one Chines ( the one at the topp of your list )

the one I like best are mye hommade !! 3x3 lower do a big difrense !

when I give classes we start of whit making of a bowle, hammer it out in a stump, planishing in E-wheel
the easyest wheel are the hom made, then the cheep Chines
I think the diference are in lower anwil dia ! Lazze wheels are onley 40mm
smal dia are good for plain wheeling, if hammering before wheeling you wil want a larger lower

mye advice, bye the China / Lazze and if you find the lowers to smal, conwert it ti Hoosier lowers, that are my plan for my Lazze wheel
Thanks Karl, that is good sensible advice as well.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khe Sanh View Post
...Any particular Hoosier rollers would you recommend for general automotive type work?
Normally I recommend an 8x3 and 3x3s for car guys but if you are careful the 8x2 and 2x3's will work. All the metal sees is PSI and the contact flat. The wider anvils offer more support on larger panels but if you're careful, the 2" wide ones will work. You can always go wider later on.

Another alternative is an 8 or 9x3 upper with the 2" wide lowers. I'd stay away from the 2x2 anvils for car work. Larger diameters are much, much smoother.