All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Metalshaping videos on-line
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-21-2014, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by longyard View Post
... I've got to have it back to the owner by May 1.
What year? If 2015, you're going to be pretty sleep deprived by May 1.

If it were my car, I'd extend the patch panels you have for the car by a couple inches, metal finish the welds, and shape them to the correct profiles. Then you can cut out the old crap above that pathetic weld job and weld it in correctly with TIG or gas. Since I'm not really good at tacking with gas/TIG while holding the metal, I'd either have a helper or tack in place with a MIG and TIG the rest of the seam.

The exterior panels are just work. The rest of them may make you lose your hair.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:01 PM

Gee Wizz, I hope the owner didn't pay those Bastards to wreck his body and new panels for him..................... But I tell you what, that seems to be the trend now for repair shops, as most of the guys that work or labor for them don't possess the skills needed for correct methods of repairs..... Nowa days its all about the money, and what little work can be done for the maximum amount of profit. BIG PROFIT

But!" Yes Bill", I would agree with Kerry, to save time, since you already have the panels, albeit, you have to do a bit off work in cutting and dressing the existing ones. Just extend them, finish and cut the rubbish out where they need to be fitted.
You have a big job ahead cleaning and removing, let alone fabricating. So by doing that would save a lot of stress.
I would think with a keen helper you may be able to knock it off by May, but its a lot of work.
I'm confident you will bring it back to glory after your handy work.

On another note: I would have to disagree with your comments regarding MIG welding for panels in your vid, as I have migged panels for over 20 years I have found they are easy to metal finish (sure, if you don't know how to weld, then all types is going to be difficult) like the example you have shown. I just think that if that's how they welded with Mig, I would hate to see how there Oxy would of turned out.

John
Old 12-22-2014, 06:56 PM

Bill,
1st off I would like to thank you for your books, i have both and like both of them.
I have done cars that bad or worse in the past. Cars so bad mounting them on a rotisserie would of folded them up. I used to work off jack stands but now use a frame table. The ability to have fixtures on the table to hold items securely really makes the job faster and more accurate. I would never go back to the floor again.

I like Kerrys idea of adding on to the replacement panel and then installing that. If the replacement is a good part

Tom
Your 49-51 Ford/Mercury woodie expert
Old 12-23-2014, 01:24 PM

Having to repair someone's bad work is the worst . I would much rather do rust repair or guess what the missing part is .
James
Old 12-23-2014, 07:54 PM

Bill,

Here is a picture of a '70 Challenger convert on the simple frame table we built. You can see some of the bracing we welded in to this car since we had it on a rotisserie as well.

Chall Frame Table.jpg

forming metal for fun.......
UscarTool.com Mild to Wild, We Don't Scare Easy

Last edited by Steve Hamilton; 12-23-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:14 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

John,
I really like your table, but what I like much more is all the space you have in your shop! Mine is a minefield you have to tip-toe through.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:52 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Default Frame table

hi Bill

I would agree with others that a sturdy table is very highly recommended!

Would you build a body without an accurate sturdy buck?

See if you can find a copy of the factory frame specs. It will give you dimensions at reference points from a horizontal datum line.

A table like John shows can be used as a structure to bolt or weld the car to.
The top of the table should be level both front to rear & side to side, and then can become your datum. Mount the car at the same height off the datum (table top) as the factory.
Make sure the car is centered side to side also. With this completed you can now build some mounts for a laser level so you can shoot a line down each side and at the center line of the car.

You will spend less time doing all of the above, than the time you will waste trying to make things fit.

Just my 2 cents,

Steve
Old 12-24-2014, 07:13 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

I would like to add my perspective here, and agree with those that recommend some sort of a reference table. From years of experience with chassis and body building I found that not only a flat surface is a great tool, but a torsionally rigid table is even better because I finally figured out that all that unsupported work will distort the body from the welding, if it is not clamped minimally to the table as well. I know this is not what you want to hear because it adds work, but I agree with Steve that it will save time in the long run. It does not have to protrude from out under the entire car (saving shop space), but just enough support under the major under panels will be of great help. The fixture can also be used in subsequent work as well, and mounting on wheels makes it able to be rolled outside the shop when not in use (or to sandblast). Using wide flange I-beam for the mounting surface and tubular supports and braces will make a rather inexpensive and easily welded sufficient structure. It is just my opinion that this is relatively inexpensive approach that is minimal in its time consumption. PM me if you think I might be able to help in any way.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:26 AM

I've bought several out of date crash repair jigs over the years, not a lot of difference in cost between making one your self, you might get brackets too.
The added benefit is they are very accurate and level and you can resell them when you are done and recoupe your costs, so think of it as renting one for a while

No matter how clever you think you are, stupidity is always one step ahead!!!!
Old 12-24-2014, 11:54 AM

Saw this table at PRI show. For the price I felt it was a very fair deal. If you didn't want to spend the time on table and get directly to metal working.

https://www.jd2.com/p-94-dr-jig.aspx

Chances are after your done you could sell it and recover 75% of cost anyways.