All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-11-2017, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilb View Post
lmao, i'm far from cool!
Busy here Neil
Old 07-11-2017, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilb View Post
it was a busy weekend that's for sure, everybody had something they were working on, i arrived late on saturday and was informed by johny left hand lol, that you guy's got to see peter's big! power hammer in action...
Attachment 42329
Attachment 42330

i spoke to peter about this and its frame, let me get this right. a cast ewheel frame boxed with steel plate and filled with sand! i'm sure he will correct me if i'm wrong lol, love to see it in action!

i'll be up again soon peter
thanks for your help

That hammer rattled the floor and i was on other side of room ..
i think the frame is a welded ewheel frame converted to a hammer frame
as john lefty said after using the cast wheel everything else is 2nd best ..
Old 07-11-2017, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekdave1962 View Post
That hammer rattled the floor and i was on other side of room ..
i think the frame is a welded ewheel frame converted to a hammer frame
as john lefty said after using the cast wheel everything else is 2nd best ..
Dave, I have a fabricated frame ( made by me, and pretty fn good ) and I will state here for the record that a cast frame ( a good one ) feels totally different to a fabricated one Sort of like a 'warm' Italian girl feels different to a 'hot' australian girl......
Mum always said this would cause heartache........

Its the Mabo. The feeling

Yeah' Mabo. Thats whats it's is

Guys Learn to understand what the metal is telling you Do I want to be str5tched or shrunK right now ??????????????? THAT IS THE ONLY CHOICE

Wheeling is not about psi v whatever IT Aint about pressure It a'int about flats or tru radius
Old 07-11-2017, 06:14 AM

No I aint trying to be contoversial

It just ab 6olutely pisses me off to think that there are shapist that dont know what thEY ARE TALKING ABOUT,....

IS the metlal shrunk or sstretcheded
Old 07-11-2017, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi john View Post
No I aint trying to be contoversial

It just ab 6olutely pisses me off to think that there are shapist that dont know what thEY ARE TALKING ABOUT,....

IS the metlal shrunk or sstretcheded
Dave The metal decides what it needs Who am I to ????????

Love You babe Jc
Old 07-11-2017, 06:35 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi john View Post
Busy here Neil
lots of things to learn for an amateur like me must make my bead roller better, Richard's (skintkarter) is great, but seems like too much work for me lol
Old 07-11-2017, 07:37 AM

It's a shame I missed it, looked like a you guys had a fab time.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:01 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Man, I would have liked to have been there. Maybe someday. Of course all you Aussies should know that you have a standing invitation to attend any of the Redneck Roundups.

Kiwi John, your comment struck a nerve with me.

"At the risk of pissing off a few people I'll simply say here that until you have witnessed a wheel been operated by someone who knows what they are doing you simply don't know what you don't know.

Stiff frames, noodles, cast, fabricated. They are all just rolling anvils and when you take the perceived " pressure component" out of the equation a whole new world opens up.

I ran Pete's McPherson over the week end and made 5 miniature 356 hoods just to try to understand what was going on. PSI will just bite you on the ass. Stretch with a blocking hammer, blend with the wheel and move the material to where you want it .

I wish everyone could just spend a few hours with Peter. He's getting old and cranky now but his logic stands true.
Geoff Moss ( forget the cigarettes and anvils on the floor) produces outstanding results as does David Gardiner Their approach is the same.
The basics just dont change.
Unfortunately You tube has produced " experts" who rely on their disciples for validation and then the myths and mirrors do their job."

I am not a talented metal shaper under any circumstances, but I have learned enough to recognize one now when I see one, and Peter is among the best ones and I am most appreciative of how he has allowed me to hang around and learn from him. "reading' the panel was a new concept to me as well as determining what the metal needs to have done to it before starting.

I thought that using only a stump and a hammer along with an English wheel was archaic and perhaps slow method of metal shaping, but after building several machines in an attempt to increase my skills I have learned that just any old machine is not always helpful. After being fortunate to have gleaned knowledge from the likes of Peter, Kent White, Cass Nawrocki, Jim Hery and others, It became clear that regarding the wheeling machine, it would be wise to learn the correct 'process' before choosing the design of the wheel. Peter's 'process' does not include much/any pressure when used for the 'softer' metals normally associated with automobile restoration like mild steel and soft aluminum.

Thanks again, John. Say hello to that cranky old and cranky guy the next time you see him and tell him I a have a fresh possum in the freezer for him.

Last edited by RockHillWill; 07-11-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:31 PM

I was at Peter's class in Woodburn Oregon and watched him working on the wheel. Although nothing was said I noticed Peter was pulling, pushing and putting pressures at angles. I now understand this is "pumping?" or putting shape into the panel. He was only doing this for 20 minutes or so, but it was a revelation. Not much was made of this technique at the time, but I'd love to spend an entire day watching him do it.
Norm
Old 07-11-2017, 05:24 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by norson View Post
I was at Peter's class in Woodburn Oregon and watched him working on the wheel. Although nothing was said I noticed Peter was pulling, pushing and putting pressures at angles. I now understand this is "pumping?" or putting shape into the panel. He was only doing this for 20 minutes or so, but it was a revelation. Not much was made of this technique at the time, but I'd love to spend an entire day watching him do it.
Norm
Realistically, it takes more than an entire day. Spending 4 days with him at Will's last fall really helped because my level of discernment changed a lot during that time. Maybe more experienced folks would progress faster.

The statement above about "you don't know what you don't know" covers a lot of what I'm referencing. All I had ever seen done on the wheel before those few days was done in a very placid manner....

Different people, different tools & equipment, different methods- not going to go there now. All I know is how satisfied I was at the end of those few days. Seeing Peter do it in his own shop, with his full arsenal at hand, would be even better. Glad y'all had a good weekend. Thanks for the pics.