All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-18-2015, 07:07 AM

Default PCO6's Spot Welder Stand

I built this stand for my spot welder to basically free up an extra hand. The foot pedal opens and closes the welder "jaws" to their fullest. The return spring is from a scrapped trampoline. It's not quite finished but it functions.

The electrical box at the base will house a relay and timer to control the weld duration.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:52 AM
MetalShaper of the month Feb.-11, July - 2018, Sept. 2020

Stew, is that a timer control at the bottom?

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

McCartney Paint and Custom YouTube channel
Old 05-18-2015, 10:51 AM

Hi Robert. I always enjoy your posts over on The Garage Journal ( http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=182565 ).

The box on the bottom of the stand will have a controller, transformer and timer in it. I will plug it in to a 240V wall plug and then the spot welder will plug in to a receptacle on the box.

The picture below shows the "guts". It all works, I just have to fit every thing neatly inside the box! The point of all of this is to get consistently timed welds. I'm now able to dial in and set the timer to fractions of a second.

I'm still playing with the switch to trigger the spot welder. The best I have come up with so far is a remote automotive starter (coiled up in the pic) that I can hold in my hand while still being able to hold what I am spot welding.

The spot welder can be removed from the stand in less than a minute. I will be able to take it and the box to a remote location to spot weld when needed.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:51 AM

Thought that's what you had going on there. Not sure how it works, but my Miller came with the timer control, and still uses the same handle trigger flip to activate, and timer is in the circuit where it cuts off based on setting. No additional switches needed. Shop night is tomorrow night, you want me to open one up for a look-see?

Old 05-18-2015, 12:07 PM

If it's not too much trouble that would be great. I have an old (50 yr.?) Porta-Spot with a built in timer that I haven't opened up in the last 30 years. When I did most of what I found was body shop dust. I should take a fresh look. It works great and looks a lot better on the outside.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:00 PM

The 220 Miller spot welder..

Cable coming in to the left as looking at picture goes to spot welder. Note 4 conductors for use with switch function, I think the standard plug in model uses 3 conductor cable.

Last edited by MP&C; 05-20-2015 at 05:25 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:12 AM

Thanks Robert. Lots of wiring! I think the basic components are the same (controller, transformer and timer) but I like that with yours the you can trigger the weld via the handle. I can do that with my Porta-Spot but not with my smaller unit. It fact with the one pictured in post #1 I have to manually lock the trigger on the welder in the on position and then trigger the electrics via juice through the box (hence the auto remote button).

Your pics are helpful. I'll keep at it post what I end up with.