All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-17-2017, 06:48 AM

I'm in a slow process of making a roof skin also for another car.
I use angle aluminium or angle steel is fine.
I make a length the same width as the roof or length of the roof, then stretch the edge of the angle aluminium to bend it to the same crown as the roof.
Then trace the bend/crown of the angle to MDF board. That can make your buck
Old 09-17-2017, 07:23 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
I make a length the same width as the roof or length of the roof, then stretch the edge of the angle aluminium to bend it to the same crown as the roof.

X2

This is an excellent way to make profiles.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 09-17-2017, 09:38 AM
MetalShaper of the Month June 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
Bart, I am trying to visualize what you described, is there any chance you have a picture of this process? I am really interested in seeing how it is completed. I have done this method and would like to learn it! Thanks!
Old 09-17-2017, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Do you have a basic Lancaster Shriner / stretcher that you can take a piece sheet metal 1 1/2 " wide by the length the opening as well as some the width of opening. Make several and form an angle similar to piece of angle iron. Now with you Lancaster stretch the one side of the angle so that it follows the radius length wise and width to make sort of a buck to then shape your skin to
Old 09-17-2017, 07:30 PM

Default Roof Skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by route56wingnut View Post
Do you have a basic Lancaster Shriner / stretcher that you can take a piece sheet metal 1 1/2 " wide by the length the opening as well as some the width of opening. Make several and form an angle similar to piece of angle iron. Now6 with you Lancaster stretch the one side of the angle so that it follows the radius length wise and width to make sort of a buck to then shape your skin to
Yes, I have a Shrinker/Stretcher. I understand your idea. Would you make the roof insert about 1/2" oversize and final trim it? I am trying to decide if it would be better to make it oversize and use Clecos to hold it in place to trim it or use my deep throat vise grips to hold it in place. I am going to Tig weld it and I need the fit to be as close as possible. On small pieces I have always use the belt sander to sand the edges to final dimension. It makes the cuts straighter. I am switching over to .040 tungsten and .035 ER70S-6 wire for this job. I am hoping to be able to tack it then weld 1" at a time then skip 2" and make another 1" weld.

Thanks for the input.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:01 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick5582 View Post
Yes, I have a Shrinker/Stretcher. I understand your idea. Would you make the roof insert about 1/2" oversize and final trim it? I am trying to decide if it would be better to make it oversize and use Clecos to hold it in place to trim it or use my deep throat vise grips to hold it in place. I am going to Tig weld it and I need the fit to be as close as possible. On small pieces I have always use the belt sander to sand the edges to final dimension. It makes the cuts straighter. I am switching over to .040 tungsten and .035 ER70S-6 wire for this job. I am hoping to be able to tack it then weld 1" at a time then skip 2" and make another 1" weld.

Thanks for the input.
Always oversize and trim afterwards.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 09-18-2017, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Always make your panel oversized so that you are allowing yourself the ability to work the panel further out. Any functions done towards the Edge are difficult to control as there is no resistance at the edge so it will over shrink or stretch at that point
Old 09-18-2017, 12:45 PM

Default Roof fitting

Quote:
Always make your panel oversized so that you are allowing yourself the ability to work the panel further out. Any functions done towards the Edge are difficult to control as there is no resistance at the edge so it will over shrink or stretch at that point
So how are you cutting the donor roof? Are you laying it on the Anglia roof and scribing a line from the edge of the Anglia roof inside and adding a 1/2" or so to the line or what?

I am having a hard time understanding how you can cut the donor roof from above and get the two cuts to line up perfectly for a Tig weld.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:49 PM
Administrator

I should have paid more attention I thought you were rolling a panel nor just getting from another. But I would take templates established from your car and head to the salvage yard and check those against a donor
Old 09-18-2017, 02:08 PM

Default Roof Panel

Quote:
I should have paid more attention I thought you were rolling a panel nor just getting from another. But I would take templates established from your car and head to the salvage yard and check those against a donor
I am going this week to pick up a mini cooper roof. I have been told this is the best donor roof available. Based upon the advice I have been given this is the least difficult job considering my experience level at this time.