All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Events
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-17-2017, 06:37 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Default Great time at Oblong metal meet

Jim and I just got back from the 2017 metal meet annually held in Oblong, Illinois. Here are some pictures, but first I would like to take time to thank those that interrupt their lives to host such a great event. Doug Haydorn and Doug Ganschow have always been my go-to guys, but they are only part of a great group of folks that include Kelly Tracey and his wife Susan, Steve Bowden and his wife Susan. Luke Johnson always seems to be around helping some one in some way. Prayers and best wishes for Doug Hawkins and his wife Cindy as they were unable to attend this years event.

Below, Jim Hery corrects some of the panel work that I made as a novice metal shaper on my speedster cowl panel.
Oblong2017 061.jpg

Kevin Anton instructs a guest on the fine art of fusion gas welding
Oblong2017 063.jpg

Randy Ferguson brought his '40 Willy's rear quarter bucks for the wild street rod that Vinny Esposito brought to Oblong.
Oblong2017 069.jpg

Below, Robert Anton puts on a seminar on applying lead filler. His demo was done vertically.
Oblong2017 078.jpg

More of Antons seminar, with Uncle Johnny, Patman, Lonnie Bass and Jacob Pfalzgraf.
Oblong2017 079.jpg

A friend of Uncle Johnny and Jacob brought this nice ride.
Oblong2017 096.jpg

Randy Ferguson was very helpful welding a crack that appeared in my speedster cowl section. Dan Shady was there to approve our work.
Oblong2017 104.jpg

Kevin Anton shows Lonnie bass some more gas welding tips.
Oblong2017 120.jpg

Jim Hery and I test the go kart tire on Peter's wheeling machine on a test panel for a Model A hood side.
Oblong2017 123.jpg

The brain brothers (scattered and lame) are at it again - displaying there homage to their better half's.
Oblong2017 129.jpg

Randy Ferguson showing the Willy's panels he made to Vinnies friend.
Oblong2017 133.jpg

Uncle Johnny watches as Jacob works on a panel for a truck door that they brought to the event.
Oblong2017 134.jpg

Jim Hery displays his interest in a set of wheeling machine rollers, made out of wood, that were seen on display.
Oblong2017 140.jpg

Believe it or not, Kevin Anton welded up this 2" square steel cube and it is 3/4ths full of water. I promised him I would not reveal his secret.
Oblong2017 143.jpg

Here I am, engrossed in an antique gas welding training book. Something by an old geezer out west in the mountains near the left coast, explaining the intricacies of this lost art. From the contents of this book, it's clear that he knows a thing or two about gas welding. The welding info was clearly better than the photography work.
Oblong2017 157.jpg

Here is Mike LaJoice who shared his talent with those of us wanting to make copper art work. Thanks, Mike.
Oblong2017 165.jpg

Last edited by RockHillWill; 10-18-2017 at 05:56 AM.