All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-31-2009, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Default Who prefers tuck shrinking?

For those of you who know me, I decided that I preferred stump shrinking over tuck shrinking. Never the less I have practiced both methods.

Tonight when I got home, I thought hell I'm going to clean the shop (it's a mess ). Then I noticed my tucking forks were getting all rusty. So I sprayed it down and sanded the rust off. Then I noticed a piece of scrap metal,so I figured might as well get some practice in and tuck shrink the edge and snap a few photos. Really I was just trying to talk myself out of cleaning the shop

I don't tuck shrink very often and what I realized is, that it's because it's so much more work than stump shrinking.

I have to work the tucks inside out, I would prefer to work them from the outside but I just don't have a post dolly good enough for it.

quill holder 131.jpg

quill holder 132.jpg

quill holder 133.jpg

quill holder 139.jpg

quill holder 141.jpg

quill holder 142.jpg

That was one round of tuck shrinking. I could have cleaned it up but what's the point.

What I do when I tuck shrink is, I start from the rear and work my way forward. I take swift hits alternating sides to I reach the mouth of the tuck. I have tried it several different ways but this seems to work the best for me.

So what I am curious about is, who prefers tuck shrinking? Also how do you tuck shrink?

This forum is dedicated to Metal Shaping.
Please stay on topic.

Last edited by jhnarial; 08-31-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:26 PM

Myself, I preferr stump shrinking. I also started out tuck shrinking, even made a few forks for good friends.
Then I ended up making a stump, laminated hardwood. Wow was that a lot easier and faster.
One thing about the forks thou. They are a lot quieter than my stump.
Tom
Old 08-31-2009, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

I do both. When I want a shrink in a particular spot...especially a deep shrink, I'll do the tuck by hand.

I still have trouble shrinking as deep with the stump/tuck puck as I can get with the tucking forks.

That said, I don't use manual methods much any more. It's not that they don't work as well, or even sometimes easier, than the kick shrinkers or thumbnail machines but my arthritis talks to me if I swing a hammer too much. Getting old is a bitch!
Old 08-31-2009, 10:08 PM
Administrator

I guess I still do both too.Even when I stump shrink,I don't like shrinking all the way to the end of an edge.When I do it just folds over,so on the end I put one or two tucks.

I'm hoping when I get my machine done I will retire my stump Kerry.

Kerry to shrink deep into a panels stump shrinking,I vision the area I want to shrink as if it were a pie shape.Then work that pie shape starting from the point working outward towards the mouth and it usually pops out a few tucks at the end.

You gave me the advice on the pie shape at the Aprils fool meet and I have been using it ever since.

It's the same with thumbnail shrinking right?

Please stay on topic.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:16 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2012

Both as well for me. Like Kerry I find tuck shrinking better when I need the shrink in a specific spot. I have the option of the thumbnails in the Nibbler, but sometimes it's a PITA to put them in for a small amount of shrink.

The tuck shrinking method I prefer is from the outside in, using the Captain Kirk style hammer. I find this to be very controlable and have less issues with the tuck escaping this way.
My personal nemesis with shrinking (both tuck and machine) is the bubble (or high) that I tend to have showing up inboard of the shrink. Getting this shrunk down or blended always seems to be an issue. I am sure it is something to do with technique but I can never seem to eliminate it - some days are just better than others. No amount of alternating short & long seems to help......
Old 08-31-2009, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Barry

I work on the inboard areas first.I don't try to smash them out with one blow I try to work them toward the tuck.

I went to a class and Jim showed me how to do it but he made it look easy.His hammer control was really good.He nibbles at the tuck until he works out the tuck.You can actually feel heat in the tuck when he is done.He was able to get a lot of shrink with each tuck,Way more then I ever got.

His method was the same as Kirks same hammer and all.

Please stay on topic.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:52 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2012

Will give it a try & report back - thanks Johnny!
Old 08-31-2009, 10:55 PM
Administrator

All I know about tuck shrinking I learned from Wray, Randy, Kerry and John Kelly. I use a bit of John Kelly's technique added to what I was taught. I usually use a body hammer to trap the open end of the tuck, by working it closed from outside in, then grab a bfh and smash it down.

The stump is a lot quicker, but there are times and places that the stump just doesn't quite do it.

I'm also in the same boat as Kerry. Not arthritis, but I have some issues with my right hand that make hand hammering an experience, to be sure. I shrink with machines most of the time, but I find it a good reminder not to lose touch with the manual techniques. I think it serves to remind you exactly what is happening to the metal.

Hey John, Jim who?

Tim D.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:57 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

One trick I discovered by accident is that if I want to do an INTERNAL panel shrink, I can make a tuck that is big enough to go into/through the area I want to shrink. Then I crush the tuck in that area and let the REST ESCAPE by flattening it out instead of crushing it into itself.

I made a set of 12" deep forks for working deep into my aluminum panels. Used them a couple times and they work fine...just have to be careful with the aluminum.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:02 PM
Administrator

Jim Huseby Tim

He lives up here by me and is a awesome metal shaper.I need to get out there more often but with the new job I have just been to busy.

Kerry do you tuck shrink with your Tom Lipton hammer?

Please stay on topic.