All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Shop Safety
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 06-19-2010, 08:54 PM

Exclamation pinch points

with all the wheeled tools and pnumatic hammering tools out there, u all missed the quote " NEVER PUT UR FINGERS WHERE U WOULDN'T PUT UR DINK" its a classic. i tell my apprentices that all the time.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:24 PM

I just re read this entire thread and was reminded of something. Be careful with Oxygen. Oxygen and oil/grease can be very dangerous and Oxygen saturation can make clothes very flammable. We lost a fellow at work that way about 15 years ago. They thought it was an air leak, it was oxy. when he struck an arc to weld a pipe hanger he lit up and burned fast. His buddy lived, he didn't.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:07 PM

Be careful with brake clean! I had a friend spray some on an engine to test for intake leaks, after a few minutes it was hard to breath and hurt to breath. I could still feel it burning in my lungs a few days later.

I had no idea welding aluminum was dangerous...
Old 05-27-2013, 01:08 AM

I ones saw a sign saying "This machine has no brain, use your own!"

Basic but true

Grt

Frank
Old 05-27-2013, 02:29 AM

Reading Brian's tales about oxygen rang true with me, I used to wear oxygen breathing apparatus years ago and keeping it away from grease was drummed into us at all times.

Without being too serious or appearing to lecture, perhaps one of the biggest dangers is in those workshops using oxy acetylene. I've seen plenty explode in fires in my time and they are like bombs, usually taking out the whole shop and sometimes people. Here in the UK the fire service have an operational procedure that shuts down a large area around any cylinder that's been heated or self heated, which won't make you too popular with the neighbours .

So I would urge anyone having a set to use flashback arrestors due to the number of times I've known a welder to accidentally torch their own hose lines...

To store them away when not being used so that they can be got out of the way safely if anything happens or in the worst case, get water on them from a distance as soon as possible.

To let any first responders to a fire in your shop know if ANY cylinders are involved, especially a home workshop.

Stay Safe!
Old 05-27-2013, 04:37 AM

Thar's sound advise Phil. How can one check if there arrestors are still good? Do these units need frequent check up?

I have a second hand OA set and not aware of it's past. There are arrestors on both oxi as acetelene.

Kind regards,

Frank
Old 05-27-2013, 02:32 PM

Frank,

Thanks for the comment but I'm also sorry as I've no specific knowledge re testing of flash arresters. My experience was always in dealing with them in fire or accident situations, not in normal use. I know they normally have both a check valve and flame barrier but that's as far as I go on this one. Hopefully someone here on the forum can give you more detailed advice.

Regards
Old 05-27-2013, 04:40 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

I would suggest you contact you local welding supply store!!!

Steve
Old 05-27-2013, 08:44 PM

Default Free Stuff

Welding Safety:

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...ng-safety.aspx

I used the interactive safety DVD in my high school classes, and can vouch for its value. Other brochures are very good as well. Free for the asking.

I will look for other manufacturer supplied safety info I have and post more links if people are interested.

I am guessing that a lot of forum members are self-taught in all areas, including welding. I am all for self-teaching/learning. Common sense goes a long way in safety.

That said, as I used to teach my students, unfortunately there are a significant number of welding safety issues that are not intuitive, not common sense, not obvious. What you don't know can hurt you badly. Oil and oxygen is one you have to read about, using an acetylene tank in the horizontal position, acetylene over 15 psi working pressure, what to do in case of a backfire or a flashback ( what's the difference?) brake cleaner (the chlorinated version) around flame or an arc, thoriated tungsten dust, cataracts from longterm exposure to arc flashes, etc, etc.

How about something as simple and common as a dirty workbench with aluminum filings, grindings and rusty steel grinding dusts on it?

Even my new Lincoln manual says not to sit between the work and ground cables, instead run them on the same side so as to avoid the mag field from sitting in the middle of a high amp loop.

Last edited by weldtoride; 05-27-2013 at 08:46 PM.