All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Shop Safety
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-14-2016, 12:08 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Default Got a bit distracted on safety and got caught…… BIG OUCH

I have been finishing up a few details on my big shear so Little Franky, my part time helper has been working on the pneumatic notcher I picked up last Fall at the Thompson, CT. swap meet. He called me to show me some bolts that were too short and I leaned against the notcher. He turned on the air pressure, the notcher cycled and the top lever crushed my left hand, I saw all the stars in the universe and screamed at him to hit the foot pedal. My hand was clamped for maybe 4 seconds but it seemed like 4 long minutes to me. My hand never should have been there, I fully accept the “dumb ass award” on this deal . While I fully gave the cutting end of this machine all the respect it deserved I overlooked a second less dangerous area and paid a price. Little Franky needlessly fells very guilty.

Next morning Little Franky, another friend and myself had breakfast together, they talked me into going to the hospital. Being the standup guy he is Little Franky spent ¾ of the day driving me out to the veterans hospital and waited around while I got x-rayed and the doctors did their thing. I feel very lucky, no broken bones or nerve damage, just a black & blue hand the size of a small boxing glove. It looks a ton worse than it feels. This morning I was able to tie my shoe laces so I’m starting to be able to use my left hand fingers again, I should be fine in a week or two, only a bruised ego but maybe just a bit smarter. I will fabricate and install a guard around that lever arm, there’s no reason that ever needs to happen again . ~ John Buchtenkirch
!!!!!!!!!!!!notcher2.jpg

!!!!!!!!!!!!notcher.jpg

!!!!!!!!!!!!notcher4.JPG

!!!!!!!!!!!!notcher3.JPG