All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 06-30-2018, 06:20 PM

I do not mean this toward Joel, rather, I think he will appreciate the humor in it as well. It greatly amused me several years ago when a lady got into an accident and sued the auto maker because her new $10,000 Kia did not come with a $12,000 full surround airbag system.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
Joel, sorry for being dense. I understand the bonding where you are bonding a flange to a flat surface like the last photo. However, in the first photo, you show a dogbone male/female and it appears that the small panel fits vertically on top of the larger with the male tab going into the female dogbone. In that case, is the adhesive applied in a 'fillet' like you were welding it? Or am I missing a flange that goes flat against the panel?

I find this whole concept of gluing cars together to be quite fascinating.

Kerry, I saw on another thread that you attended the NSRA Street Rod Nationals a few years ago (why am I not surprised). If you are coming this year, one of my chassis will be there on display in the Steel-It commercial exhibit and I will be there as well. If you can make it again, I would be privileged to buy you a beer. Edit: or a Margarita.

Last edited by 76mx; 07-01-2018 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:11 AM

Charley, Would you per chance being in attendance at the street rod show in Columbus Ohio next week? I would love to see one of your chassis and meet in person. I timed a visit with my grandchildren to coincide with the show. It has been years since I have gone to the show. They have some extremely talented people in the vendor area.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76mx View Post
Kerry, I saw on another thread that you attended the NSRA Street Rod Nationals a few years ago (why am I not surprised). If you are coming this year, one of my chassis will be there on display in the Steel-It commercial exhibit and I will be there as well. If you can make it again, I would be privileged to buy you a beer. Edit: or a Margarita.

I had planned on being there but we have to take the Grandkids home. Crap, I'd love to see your chassis in person and meet you.

There will be quite a few AMS members attending and vending. Jerry Gully is always there selling tools. Keith Daleen is usually there with the Burr King sander/grinder folks. There are a bunch more.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:39 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Post First Miura Inspired Road Trip

I’m now on a road trip to pick up the Miura chassis. The road trip is from the San Francisco bay area to Fort Worth, Texas with a 5 day layover in Phoenix, AZ to watch my son play in the Junior Boys National Volleyball tournament. Just as I was crossing the AZ border yesterday, Charley called to let me know the basic chassis assembly was completed and ready to come off the chassis table.

He sent a couple of pictures and I thought I’d share them as chassis details are now becoming visible.

Front suspension area

Rear suspension area

Charley is still working on the A arms and uprights that will complete the suspension. More pictures to come as the road trip progresses.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mullin View Post
Charley, Would you per chance being in attendance at the street rod show in Columbus Ohio next week? I would love to see one of your chassis and meet in person. I timed a visit with my grandchildren to coincide with the show. It has been years since I have gone to the show. They have some extremely talented people in the vendor area.
Rick, sorry not that one. My schedule, subject to change, is to leave Texas the first part of next month, deliver a chassis to Tennessee, display a Countach chassis in Louisville at the NSRA Nationals, then deliver a Countach body in North Carolina, then to Atlanta to pick up green tinted Lexan, then home. From then I have two weeks to prep the chassis that was on display in Louisville for Alpine Stereo and the national car audio trade show. After this, that chassis and one other will be made into turnkey Countaches for SEMA. Then one goes to PRI and the other goes to Vintage Weekend at Ocean Reef in Florida. Neither one comes home.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:47 PM

Joel picked up his chassis and left Texas yesterday for the long trip back to Northern California. Before he left, we made a video together. It is Chupacabra #40 on YouTube at StricklandRacingInc.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:24 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Post Miura chassis makes it home

It was a successful trip and after a long drive I now have the Miura chassis in my own garage where I can start work on it myself. Here we’re fueling up in Fort Worth, Texas preparing for the 2.5 days of driving to get back home to California. One observation I had is that diesel is about $1 per gallon less expensive in Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas than California and the roads were in much better shape in those states as well. Hmmm…where are all those CA fuel tax dollars going?

I’d also like to thank Charley Strickland for all he’s contributed to the Miura project so far. Firstly, he had the chassis done and ready for pickup on schedule. In addition, he spent a good half day walking me through a bunch of details on the chassis and suspension. He provided me information on sources for many of the parts I’ll need to obtain for this car. Its guys like Charley that make the home built car hobby much better and truly enjoyable.

Getting the chassis loaded on the trailer turned out to be easy. I haven’t weighed the chassis yet but it was easy enough for 3 guys to pick it up off chassis table, carry about 30 feet and put on the trailer. While the drive home was long, it was uneventful.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:49 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Good to hear it is all working out so well so far.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:29 PM

I can just imagine all the strangers at gas stations asking "what is that on the trailer..." and the inevitable discussion that follows!