All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-05-2012, 11:55 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale in aus View Post
Your doijng a great job, I always like checking in and seeing what new peices you have been working on. looks great.
Hi Dale

Thanks for visiting the 'funny farm' ... glad you like the progress .

More on the way.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:14 AM

Got ahead of myself and ended up rolling the P/S before taking a picture of how it started. So here is the flat D/S piece(left) next to the completed P/S piece(right). After cutting them out of 22Ga sheet metal with two different arcs extrapolated from an imaginary cone within the front compartment, the longitudinal edges had a quick pass though the shrinker prior to rolling in the wheel.

Here we are starting the wheeling process for the drivers' side inner fender. In the background you can just see the template box getting fatter.

After only a few longitudinal passes the piece is starting to get some curvature. At this point I switched to about a 60*-70* diagonal wheeling pattern in order to speed up the rate of rise. Sorry no photos of this stage, but you can just make out the marks on the passenger side comparison piece on the right. I wasn't too concerned about initial wheeling marks since the piece had a ways to go and would be smoothed out with a lower anvil that closer matched the curvature later on the diagonal passes. The completed passenger side piece provides a visual comparison of the shape we need to attain.

Front inner fenders complete and temporarily installed with some self drilling/self tapping #8's. The moisture trough has yet to be redone... After finishing this version, I wasn't happy with the narrowness along the sides. You'll see what I mean when I post photos of the new trough later.

Thanks for following along.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:22 AM

Nick, it is looking real nice!
Old 01-10-2012, 03:31 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Nice wheeling on them pieces.

Keep it coming.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 01-10-2012, 08:35 PM

Thanks guys

The pieces didn't come out too badly. It's a matter of mileage I guess... The more pieces you play with the more comfortable one gets with shaping panels.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:44 PM

Well...it's been a few weeks since I've even had an opportunity to blink...never mind try and get online to post some progress photos for R2. Life has a way of throwing a few curve balls now and then...

Here are a few snap shots of fab work being done on the rear hatch structure.

Creating the rear hatch's vent areas.

Filling in corners. Once the pieces have been fit and welded into place the seams will be tapped out, ground and finished to appear as though the rear structure was fabricated as one piece with no joints... at least that's the plan.

'Hammering' out the rear hatch's substructure. Looking from the inside out, vents have been created to facilitate more effective cooling.

A few more pieces to go yet...then onto the top skin.

Thanks for looking
Old 02-15-2012, 06:16 PM

More progress on the rear hatch ... the outer skin this time. At this point I'm not too worried that the pieces don't fit exactly to each other...that will come. Once the momentum is set for shaping the pieces to the buck, one side is done followed by the other side. That way I don't forget a particular sequence taken to create the panels.

Starting with D/S the sail panel.

Fitting it into place, the sail panel inner piece flat horizontal surface will be bent down into the vent area with the end bent to close in the end - trimmed where required - then hemmed

Fitting up the sail panel outer pieces.

Creating the front pieces for the rear deck.

Last edited by invision; 08-31-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:53 AM

Here's some work done on the front fascia/headlight surrounds.

First a quick flexible pattern was created of the headlight bucket area using some masking tape. It's then removed from the wireframe buck and transferred to pressed cardboard where an appropriate cut and bends were made. Here are the two together to confirm the final shape.

The template was transferred to sheet metal which was then cut out with some excess added to the perimeter. Used the slapper and dollie to clean up the waves around the edges caused by the shear.

The piece is taking shape. The initial shape was created using the tipping wheel. After some perimeter shrinking was completed excess material was trimmed away. The top as well as the bottom areas needed to be torch shrunk and finally planished to create the vertical accent . At this point I was preparing to weld up the joint, grind, and take a soft abrasive disk to take care of the HAZ areas.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take a photo of the final result. You'll have an opportunity to see it later on in other photos as to how it came out.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:06 PM

Absolutely amazing. Wow I wish I could do half that
Old 02-27-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Maxwell View Post
Absolutely amazing. Wow I wish I could do half that
Hi Dave, Thanks very much.

In time you will. Just need to keep at it...it's a matter of mileage. You can get some practice with pressed paper before getting into metal for simple shapes. Also, don't be afraid to ask questions as there are many metal shaping masters here on the site who have posted excellent tutorials.

Cheers!