All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-22-2015, 12:59 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov. 2018, Jan. 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
Nice work on "the visor"

Our present BMW stable amounts to a '99 M Rdstr, a '99 M Coupe (both fitted with Eurosport Twinscrew superchargers) an '01 M Rdstr (factory delivery on that one) and my wife is still making do with her 3rd X5, a 2011 model.
Apologies Randy that I missed commenting on this - thanks re the visor. Looks like you have a serious case of BMW fever to which there seems to be no known antidote. Particularly after pedaling a supercharged S54! Wow!
Old 07-22-2015, 06:17 AM

Your doing a fine job on the Beemer Richard, I bet you can't wait to give her a run on the new Highlands Motorsport Facility, ............................................ And believe me I said that with a lot of jealousy.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:37 AM

Thanks John. Highlands is in my favourite bit of NZ, but we live at the other end. Tony Quinn who built Highlands, has just purchased Hampton Downs which is our favourite local track only 30 minutes away. He has plans to complete the full circuit that the previous owners couldn't due to funding issues. Should be open late next year with the full 4km track . Kids and I are itching to hear it run. Hopefully the turbo won't kill all of the noise.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:20 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by skintkarter View Post
Apologies Randy that I missed commenting on this - thanks re the visor. Looks like you have a serious case of BMW fever to which there seems to be no known antidote. Particularly after pedaling a supercharged S54! Wow!
Richard, this is a fun project, and the "air hook visor" is lovely. Keep going.

Randy, An older very cherry M5 roadster "Dinan" just visited here - re-acquired by its original owner.

I had a 502 and was looking for a 507, back in '73. I'd love to s'charge a 507 and mod the susp. for a driver - as was done in that Euro movie about the getaway driver so long ago.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
Richard, this is a fun project, and the "air hook visor" is lovely. Keep going.

Randy, An older very cherry M5 roadster "Dinan" just visited here - re-acquired by its original owner.

I had a 502 and was looking for a 507, back in '73. I'd love to s'charge a 507 and mod the susp. for a driver - as was done in that Euro movie about the getaway driver so long ago.
Thanks Kent. Just starting to stumble my way through the boot lid - I guess superleggera style with an ali square tube frame and flanges. Will no doubt need to call for help with the reverse for the ducktail. Plan at this stage is to run a thin round tube as a support for the top of the ducktail and join the rear upstand to the skin at this point. Exciting uncharted waters for me.

The 507 is a very pretty car - if I remember designed by Albrecht Goertz who also did the timeless Datsun 240z. Would be a nice thing to have in the shed.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks John. Highlands is in my favourite bit of NZ, but we live at the other end. Tony Quinn who built Highlands, has just purchased Hampton Downs which is our favourite local track only 30 minutes away. He has plans to complete the full circuit that the previous owners couldn't due to funding issues. Should be open late next year with the full 4km track . Kids and I are itching to hear it run. Hopefully the turbo won't kill all of the noise.
Blimey Charlie....... Whilst we in OZ are loosing Motorsport circuits, everywhere else is building them. We need a government crack down on only letting Motor enthusiast run for parliament.

The UK is meca for circuits, and the US Italy and Spain................and now New Zealand.

I think I have to move.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:44 PM
MetalShaper of the Month February 2020

Location: Fortuna California -- up north behind the redwood curtain

Nice work Richard ------ Like what your doing
Old 07-22-2015, 11:05 PM

Thanks Steve - first time for nearly all of this, so baby steps and excruciatingly slow!

John - best thing about all of this is that Tony Quinn (VIP Petfoods) I gather made all of his money in Aus, and is spending it in NZ Reverse Osmosis for a change! His plans are to run a round of the V8 Super Tourers at Hampton and also the Australian GT Championship (which Tony also owns/runs) will have rounds at Hampton and Highlands as a finale to the season. Plenty of room for you over here John and no snakes, crocks or venomous spiders Last bit on Tony - he just dropped off a brand new McLaren MP12 640 to a mate (circa $500k straight off the transporter) and said 'Stick me a cage in this, I'm doing the next Targa...' Very challenging job into the carbon fibre tub.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:03 AM

Default Learning to drive the swage

Did a bit of work on the alloy boot lid, but after a visit from a buddy who knows a wee bit more than I (Mike Roberts - Austin 7 Special) Mike suggested that it would end in tears, if I made the lid before locking down the hole. Makes sense really, particularly that the rear flares will lap over the top of what will remain of the rear guards - losing me 1.6mm per side on the boot lid gap and gaining me 1.6mm in height.

He also suggested that to fix the rot in the base of the rear screen frame, to consider cutting it out altogether and to make a new flange which would continue down into the new rear firewall. Easy for Mike to say...!

Had a play with some alloy scrap to get an idea of how the shape would form in the swage. Haven't done anything other than a few step beads in the swage thus far. Seemed that I could get most of it with a tipping wheel.

Made the actual parts from 0.8mm 22g CRS. Did a radius fold in the box and pan (folded up a doubler to go around the fingers to add more radius) for the rearmost top crease first.

Then pulled the shape in with the shrinker stretcher - in hindsight should have been braver and left meat on the flanges so that the shrink marked areas could be trimmed off at the end. Took it quietly, so most of the marks should sand out with a bit of luck.

Once the parts fitted up to the leading edge of the bootlid, I could form the rearmost flange with the tipping wheel and stepped die used as a guide. Stretched the rear flange a bit with a hammer and flat stake dolly.

Whilst my test pieces sort of came out Ok, it was hard to control the width of the visible flat part - which would have looked a dog's breakfast if the lines were not parallel. Yeah yeah, I know it's only a race car... Made up a male and female, nylon dieset to finalise the shape.

Did the front lower flange next in the swage, using the tipping wheel and step die again, to ensure an even width. Once this was about 80% there, touched up the contour again with the S/S and bag and then eased the last of the shape in with the nylon dieset. Really pleased with how the dies worked

Bit more with the S/S and bag and it fits!

First real test of the new bead roller and it works a treat - good one Tom Verity!

Name:  20150816_164504.jpg
Views: 2345
Size:  60.2 KB

Name:  20150816_164536.jpg
Views: 1938
Size:  62.3 KB

Name:  20150816_164557.jpg
Views: 1817
Size:  43.9 KB

Name:  20150816_164710.jpg
Views: 1829
Size:  57.1 KB

Name:  20150816_164721.jpg
Views: 1822
Size:  65.5 KB
Old 08-16-2015, 09:32 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Did a bit of work on the alloy boot lid, but after a visit from a buddy who knows a wee bit more than I (Mike Roberts - Austin 7 Special) Mike suggested that it would end in tears, if I made the lid before locking down the hole. Makes sense really, particularly that the rear flares will lap over the top of what will remain of the rear guards - losing me 1.6mm per side on the boot lid gap and gaining me 1.6mm in height.

He also suggested that to fix the rot in the base of the rear screen frame, to consider cutting it out altogether and to make a new flange which would continue down into the new rear firewall. Easy for Mike to say...!

Had a play with some alloy scrap to get an idea of how the shape would form in the swage. Haven't done anything other than a few step beads in the swage thus far. Seemed that I could get most of it with a tipping wheel.

Made the actual parts from 0.8mm 22g CRS. Did a radius fold in the box and pan (folded up a doubler to go around the fingers to add more radius) for the rearmost top crease first.

Then pulled the shape in with the shrinker stretcher - in hindsight should have been braver and left meat on the flanges so that the shrink marked areas could be trimmed off at the end. Took it quietly, so most of the marks should sand out with a bit of luck.

Once the parts fitted up to the leading edge of the bootlid, I could form the rearmost flange with the tipping wheel and stepped die used as a guide. Stretched the rear flange a bit with a hammer and flat stake dolly.

Whilst my test pieces sort of came out Ok, it was hard to control the width of the visible flat part - which would have looked a dog's breakfast if the lines were not parallel. Yeah yeah, I know it's only a race car... Made up a male and female, nylon dieset to finalise the shape.

Did the front lower flange next in the swage, using the tipping wheel and step die again, to ensure an even width. Once this was about 80% there, touched up the contour again with the S/S and bag and then eased the last of the shape in with the nylon dieset. Really pleased with how the dies worked

Bit more with the S/S and bag and it fits!

First real test of the new bead roller and it works a treat - good one Tom Verity!

Attachment 33937

Attachment 33938

Attachment 33939

Attachment 33940

Attachment 33941
I like the bead roller design. I'm a big fan of having an air cylinder for the upper shaft pressure. Snappy action is best for that - instead of winding a screw up and down.

You are doing nice work, Richard. Good to see.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.