All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-11-2019, 08:47 AM

Default Nice!

Anyone with an ounce of honesty/humility can identify with you. Been there! Felt that! Nice outcome possibly with the added cost of a few gray hairs. Jon T
Old 01-11-2019, 11:14 AM

Jack love your work and how you work out problems.
I agree with what you say about sticking with it when you working on or learning to do something.
I (a newbie) have been working on trying to make a rear fender for an Austin Healey for close to a year. Some of the parts I have done 8-9 times.
I don't have a fender yet but I am close.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:27 PM

I needed to fabricate door window moulding for my Father in Law's car. Fast forward 14 mos.worth of weekends, 12 false starts, & 1 beadroller build that I thought was absolutely necessary for success (it wasn't), I had the required window mouldings. The upholstery guy came to the shop to size up his work and was amazed at the mouldings. He asked how I was able to make them, I tried to explain but after many blank stares, I reached over and picked up a spare blank and within 5 minutes I had another window moulding. It was my turn for blank stares as I realized I had just studied for 14 mos to be able to produce a part in 5 minutes.

Last edited by Sprint Relic; 01-11-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:59 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
....I (a newbie) have been working on trying to make a rear fender for an Austin Healey for close to a year. Some of the parts I have done 8-9 times.
I don't have a fender yet but I am close.
I've been watching the thread. With Wray's video and Peter's guidance, you'll get there.

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:11 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

I went ahead and polished these trim rings just to satisfy myself. I needed to put these behind me and move on. They are finally finished and look good.

Name:  1433.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  29.6 KB

Name:  1434.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  77.9 KB

Name:  1435.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  36.4 KB

Name:  1436.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  69.8 KB

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:21 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Very nice result.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:29 AM

Default Beautiful

Very nice!
Old 01-12-2019, 05:20 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Default Don't be too hard on yourself.

Jack, I feel your pain………. however just about any parts that are being plated or polished to perfection are not novice level. While a really good polisher may be able to polish out some minor imperfections I’d say the metal work / finishing has “got to be 99% there” for a lack of a better way to describe it. I have helped prepare many trim parts thru the years for my friend’s plating & polishing business https://vtwinscycleshop.com/polish.html and it’s not relaxing work, you get away with almost nothing unless your plater has access to illegal cyanide copper plating tanks. No parts can be mig welded, it doesn’t polish out the same as surrounding metal.

I will add whenever a job beats me up I try to move on to some easier portion of the job so I’m still making some progress but my thoughts will keep flashing back to figuring out the harder job. I also purposely place unsuccessful pieces where I’m forced to see them many times during the day as a constant reminder to me of where my thought process should be focused. Time away from the stress portion of jobs has allowed me to outsmart problems many times which is why I hate jobs with an absolute deadline…………… guess I’m not ready to do a TV show . ~ John Buchtenkirch

P.S. I have enjoyed your updates on your build. THANK YOU.

Last edited by John Buchtenkirch; 01-12-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Buchtenkirch View Post
Jack, I feel your pain………. however just about any parts that are being plated or polished to perfection are not novice level. While a really good polisher may be able to polish out some minor imperfections I’d say the metal work / finishing has “got to be 99% there” for a lack of a better way to describe it. I have helped prepare many trim parts thru the years for my friend’s plating & polishing business https://vtwinscycleshop.com/polish.html and it’s not relaxing work, you get away with almost nothing unless your plater has access to illegal cyanide copper plating tanks. No parts can be mig welded, it doesn’t polish out the same as surrounding metal.

I will add whenever a job beats me up I try to move on to some easier portion of the job so I’m still making some progress but my thoughts will keep flashing back to figuring out the harder job. I also purposely place unsuccessful pieces where I’m forced to see them many times during the day as a constant reminder to me of where my thought process should be focused. Time away from the stress portion of jobs has allowed me to outsmart problems many times which is why I hate jobs with an absolute deadline…………… guess I’m not ready to do a TV show . ~ John Buchtenkirch

P.S. I have enjoyed your updates on your build. THANK YOU.
John
Could you expand on the cyanide copper part of the plating process and ways around it and how to better prepare for chrome plating? Or a layman's source of information?
Old 01-13-2019, 02:46 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Norm, I’m not a plater myself and know very little about the business but I’m told that cyanide copper plating is like the Bondo of the plating business, a very high build plating that can fill pits and build up too thin metal. The down side is it is illegal in many areas so the only other choice that I know of is the parts to be plated have to be nearly perfect. ~ John Buchtenkirch