All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-17-2018, 06:55 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
You could also just send the drawing to a company that does laser/waterjet cutting.
I have done that in the past on some projects. However, I find it difficult mentally when I’m building and designing in my head when I get to needing a bracket I want it now to keep progress going on that phase. It’s tough to plan ahead when doing custom work (for me at least) For example, the exhaust I just did....I had the exhaust routed and temporarily supported in place, then I obviously wanted mounts and hangers to secure it in place permanently. I suppose I could have sent all the files off, waited for the parts to arrive and gone onto another part of the project in the meantime. I don’t like skipping around too much and leaving too many “half completed” tasks all around the project (unless I have a plan or reason for it in my head)

Dane
Old 10-18-2018, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplace View Post
I have done that in the past on some projects. However, I find it difficult mentally when I’m building and designing in my head when I get to needing a bracket I want it now to keep progress going on that phase. It’s tough to plan ahead when doing custom work (for me at least) For example, the exhaust I just did....I had the exhaust routed and temporarily supported in place, then I obviously wanted mounts and hangers to secure it in place permanently. I suppose I could have sent all the files off, waited for the parts to arrive and gone onto another part of the project in the meantime. I don’t like skipping around too much and leaving too many “half completed” tasks all around the project (unless I have a plan or reason for it in my head)

Makes sense. I hate leaving stuff as well.

My Project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 10-18-2018, 09:39 AM

Hi Dane,
Nice work your doing there.

If you haven't seen this site and aren't worried about rabbit holes, here is a good reference: https://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-p...rjet-machines/

ærugo nunquam dormit
Old 10-18-2018, 11:15 AM

I would check local Craigslist as there are several used CNC Plasma tables in our area that are for sale. There is one in Brooklyn Park that looks like an okay deal.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:44 PM

As you may recall, I previously had to cut out the center crossmembers that the chassis builder had as there was just no way they would work how I wanted for the exhaust.

I have now bent up 3 new crossmembers (1 is also the removeable transmission mount and will get split with bolt flanges added to it later)

The new crossmembers had to go up and over the exhaust yet drop down in the center for driveshaft clearance once the suspension was raised.

The front (transmission mount) is level, the second crossmember has a mild drop and the third one has a deeper drop. This tapered drop front to back helps it follow the angle of the driveshaft better. For no reason except it visually looked nicer to me and more "planned out" I'd say.

I finished it off by adding a few more exhaust hanger brackets and isolators.

Tomorrow I'm hopefully going to set the body back on so I can start getting a real good game plan for floor structure, etc.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  77.7 KB

A view from the front with the suspension dropped shows plenty of driveshaft clearance.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  77.3 KB

From the rear with the suspension dropped, again shows good clearance.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  78.0 KB

A view looking down the length of the driveshaft.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  77.2 KB

The view from the side with the suspension raised up shows why the crossmembers had to drop for the driveshaft.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  74.8 KB

This angle from the front helps show a bit how each crossmember has a different "drop" to help better follow the driveshaft angle.

Dane
Old 10-19-2018, 12:14 PM

Can the driveshaft be removed once the body is on the chassis? Spectacular build BTW.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scshrd View Post
Can the driveshaft be removed once the body is on the chassis? Spectacular build BTW.
Well there is no floor yet!ha But yes, it will have no problem dropping out with the future floor / driveshaft tunnel in place.

Also, thank you for the compliment and for enjoying the build.

Dane
Old 10-19-2018, 10:30 PM

Try plasmaspyder.com for a plasma table forum. A lot of good things there.
I bought a Plasmacam 4x4 table in 2005 and a few years later bought a 5x10 Sampson table a few years later. A lot of the people that make the cheap tables don't last but a year or two and you have no support or parts. Plasma tables make lots of smoke and dust and probably shouldn't be around a paint booth. I shovel up 55 gal barrels full of metal dust under my table. I cut 22ga stainless at 300 inches a minute and can quickly turn new metal into scrap. The first day I ran my machine, I ruined three 4x8 sheets of 1/8. My neighbor says "It cost a lot to be stupid". These machines are probably easer to run now than when I started. Just trying to point out some of the bad things. I hope this helps.
Eddie Lawson