All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Events
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-28-2016, 10:53 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Bloody good stuff !! Nice to see so many keen people and full of enthusiasm keen to teach and learn . See you all next Year
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM
Old 02-29-2016, 05:56 AM

Had to miss this year due to work. I always look forward to this event.
Can't beat the people and the hospitality.

I can see a lot was learned.
Sure missed seeing all my friends.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

I will be there next time if at all possible.

You guys always put on the best events.

Dave
Old 02-29-2016, 08:03 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec 2010, Sept 2015, Jan 2016

Thank you Kerry for the comment realy appreciate it..and yes OLD friend

How time flies...

Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
I just got home also. A great time as usual. The weather was magnificent. Will and Peggy were great hosts as always and it was great to see all my old friends, meet some new friends, and learn some new tricks.

My old friend Ben Van Berlo (Pedalcar Ben) was there from the Netherlands and had his new Mechhammer II to demo and it is a pretty dang impressive machine. It is very, very controllable and can go from light and delicate to very powerful with just the touch of your toe. All the dies are the same height so there is no mucking around adjusting arms unlike my CP hammer was. I'm not really a planishing hammer guy and sold my big phammer last year because I never used it. I believe I would have used this if I had it.

I stayed in my corner a lot and worked on Monique.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Will, I really appreciate the hospitality, I had a great time and learned a ton.

Really hate being back in the office today.

"I've never met someone with so much tenacity in all my life." - RockHillWill

@madscientistind
Old 02-29-2016, 03:44 PM

Here's a few photo's from the Redneck Roundup.

Ben demoing Mechammer.JPG

Mechammer dies.jpg

Ben with shoe.JPG

Clint answering questions.jpg

calipers.jpg

Jim straightening fender.JPG

Jim Filing fender.JPG

Jim giving welding help.jpg

Stan preparing the world's best chicken

Stan preping chicken.jpg

rare photo of George King sweeping floor

George King sweeping.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pointing tool 2.JPG (61.6 KB, 187 views)
Old 02-29-2016, 03:53 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

rare photo? Heck, it's the ONLY photo!
Old 02-29-2016, 04:36 PM

Will, I wanted to say thank you for a great time. I know you go to a ton of work to pull this together and I really appreciate it. I also wanted to thank everyone who offered suggestions on the MGA fender I was working on. I think I have a good idea of what I need to do in order to finish it. Now I need to get busy and do it.

I also want give a special "thank you" to Robert and Mallory Kolenda for their assistance in getting back into my locked car and finding the missing key. Without their help I would have spent a lot of money.

I tried to get around and say "good bye" to those with whom I talked the most. It got crazy as I was trying to leave and I might have missed a couple. Don't take offense if I missed you.

I'll take good care of your steering wheel and try to get it back to you soon. I really hope to be back next year, this was a great event with a wonderful group of people.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Thank you Kerry for the comment realy appreciate it..and yes OLD friend

How time flies...

Ben
Yes...We've known each other since 2002. There were several of the early members of the community at the Roundup.

George King and Dan Shady were gracious enough to let me ride over with them. George hosted the very first international gathering of metalshapers in his shop in Huntsville, Alabama in the fall of 2001 (Formfest 2001). Dan Shady and Ben were there. I found out about the event the day after it ended when a picture appeared in the Huntsville Times. I joined the MetalShapers Association that day and have been very active in the metal shaping community at various forums and events since. George again hosted the event in 2002 and I attended and that is where I met Ben. I had known George for decades and had met Dan previously also but had no idea of their interest in shaping.

In 2003 the first MetalMeet was held up in Robinson, IL and I think that is where I first met Carey Culpepper (Mr. C), Jim Russell, Steve Hamilton, and this guy named Stan Lobitz. Jim and I actually shared a room and had never seen each other before. Both our wives thought we were crazy.

It's amazing how many of that early group is still active in the community. It was great to see them again and share some of the group history with newer members.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:47 PM

The worst part of these metalshapers gatherings is leaving. I wasn't the only one that extended the goodbyes for more than an hour. It is just hard to turn and walk out the door.
It was so good to see old friends again and make some new ones.
Will and Peggy are so generous and hospitable. Thank you so much.
Laughter is a language freely spoken at these events. I had to wipe away the tears a few times. That is healing to the mind and body. I had a great time and enjoyed the cool weather.

TuckPuck® Metal Shaping Tools
www.tuckpuck.com
Old 02-29-2016, 08:44 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Glad to hear it wasn't just me thinking it seemed like heading for the door was running the gauntlet- trying to leave Fri PM seemed almost ridiculous. It took me around 2 hours just trying to politely say goodbye while trying to walk 50 ft.... after about 30 minutes, I just gave up trying to leave in any hurry. Thinking about that while driving home was a big part of why I came back Sat, so I could talk more with all these great new friends. Sat was a little better, but only because I started leaving a lot earlier.

Really great to see everyone gravitate off into groups, all doing cool stuff and being welcome to hover into & out of each spot at will. even better to see so many tools scattered around, no strings attached and nothing damaged at the end of the day. Too many events aren't like that. Lots of help unloading and loading, too- thanks to Jim, Jake and others.

Gotta say the door prizes were fantastic- there weren't just 1-2. So lots of people (almost everyone?) got something. Thanks again to everyone that gave something. Having plenty led to a fair amount of swapping, which made it even better.