All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > GETTING STARTED > Introductions
Register All Albums Event Calendar Today's Posts Search
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 06-21-2011, 04:35 AM

Default new member from london uk

hello I intend on making a mgb gt sebring replica. Fiberglass wings are widely available, however i intend to make them out of steel.

I am a hobbyist and hope to do this myself, I will be buying dvd's to help and possible do a short course, any course of one week or less would great, I know of contour autocraft, are there any more?

I have been luck to secure a cast ranalah machine, and have bought replacement rollers from hoosier profiles, and am looking for other well built antique machines, such as folders, rollers and swagers.

Regards
Old 06-21-2011, 08:27 AM

Welcome to Allemetalshaping JAG!
Old 06-21-2011, 10:02 AM
Administrator

M.Johal, welcome, hope you find the site helpful and enjoyable. Thanks for joining us.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:38 PM

Default Contour Autocraft

I took the Contour Autocraft course...I HIGHLY recommend it. Those guys really know what they are doing and are GREAT teachers.

Life is NOT like the bottom of a bottle cap...you do NOT get to 'play again.' Figure out what matters to you and DO IT!

self-confessed self confessor
Old 06-21-2011, 05:34 PM

Welcome to Allmetalshaping.

Eckold UK run courses on the use of the english wheel, they will also do one day courses on any specific area of metalshaping you are having trouble with. If you search "english wheel" on ebay they normally advertise their courses on there. I haven't personally attended any of their courses so can't comment as to the quality of information.

I think you have come to the right place already to learn the craft. Start with smaller, less complicated projects and get stuck in. Any problems you encounter, take plenty of pictures and post on here. There is a multitude of extremely talented craftsman on this forum that would be pleased to point you in the right direction.

Another advantage is that you will often get multiple suggestions on how to fix your problem and you can select the one that you are most comfortable with. If you go on a course and get taught by one person you will only get one viewpoint on how to do something. One thing that you will realise quite quickly is that there is nearly always more than one way to shape metal and come up with the same end result. With experience you will be able to use the methods that best suit your abilities.

Neil
Old 06-22-2011, 06:53 AM

I like the idea of contour autocraft, but they are pricy, I suppose I'll just have to save up, I think that is Abit early I need to practice NY welding and basic fabrication first, I'm thinking a local college first to learn basic bodywork then on to traditional metal work like contours later.

Anyone know if I can use fiberglass wings as bucks, or will I have to make wooden ones instead?
Old 06-22-2011, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag View Post
...Anyone know if I can use fiberglass wings as bucks, or will I have to make wooden ones instead?
I don't think you're going to want to beat on fiberglass like you can a wooden or fiberglas bondo buck. Work great for making patterns though.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:06 PM

Default Contour Autocraft

I went into Contour Autocraft as a total newbie...and came out five days later, able to TIG weld thin sheet metal and form sheet metal with hand tools and the wheeling machine (with three beautiful test pieces to show off my skills). To be honest with you, I think the guys who beat metal for a living had a tougher time in the course...they had to un-learn bad habits while they were trying to new ones.

I know it is a bit on the expensive side, but I really cannot say enough about these guys. They really know what they are doing with sheet metal and they are fabulous teachers. They teach you how to think about the metal to get the shape you want. They focus a lot on using basic hand tools, instead of a lot of complicated machinery. You get a great deal of one-on-one time while you are practicing skills.

I am not trying to push too hard, I understand that not everyone has the budget to afford this course, just just giving you the 'inside view' of someone who has been there and letting you know you won't regret that money spent, if you really want to learn metal shaping quickly.

You don't need any special skills to get a lot out of this class. OH...you do want to save up more than the price of admission, though...they sell some custom tools there--and you will want to take some of those tools home, once you have seen how well they work. Take a look at their website to see what tools they have to offer.

kev

Life is NOT like the bottom of a bottle cap...you do NOT get to 'play again.' Figure out what matters to you and DO IT!

self-confessed self confessor
Old 06-22-2011, 04:28 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Welcome to the site. I feel that if you have no experience in shaping metal you need to learn to walk before you can run. Making a wing is a big job on its own. Taking a course is all very good and I have taught vehicle restoration at Colchester Institute on and off for twenty years.(the original restoration course in the UK).

Using a wheeling machine is far from intuative and it is one thing to make a very small patch panel on a buck when you are being shown every step of the way. It is another to get a good understanding of how metal works when you shape it.

David

All things are possible.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:05 PM

hi david i will be buying your highly respected dvd soon, do you think my task may be too optimistic?

i'd like to build my wheel arches my self but would it just be best to pay some one to do it properley, I dont really have time to practise for weeks on end.

Just trying to be realistic. What can i do after a 5 day course?