All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > GETTING STARTED > Introductions
Register All Albums Event Calendar Today's Posts Search
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-11-2010, 05:06 PM

Default Hello. My name is...

Hey guys! New guy here! Not sure why I'm just joining this or really WHY it took me so long to find out about it...

Figured I would do the right thing and introduce myself. Tdoty filled me in on the place and thought it was best I should join! Thanks TIM!

My name is Scott, I'm a Leo, I like pizza, long walks on the beach and.... oh. Wait. Sorry! Wrong website...

...I'm a mechanical engineer by day and filling in every other available second with knowledge about metal shaping, machining, welding, and especially hot rods and building them. Been addicted to hot rods since seeing pictures of my Dads hot rod he had in the 60's and the disease just stayed with me. I love this stuff and more recently I've just been trying to learn and absorb all the information and I can about metal shaping.

So... Here I am!

Here's what I'm working on...

If you would like to read more about it, I have a combined build thread on the HAMB about the car. I can post the link if anyone is interested.

There's still a ton more work to do on the car, especially metal shaping stuff. Going to build a removable aluminum roof insert from scratch, a hood, and just a ton of smoothing here and there.

Right now in the shop, I have a few good tools to work with.... English wheel, shrinker and stretcher, a bead roller, a sheet metal brake, tubing bender, riveting tools, a mill, and your basic hand tools and sheet metal smashing and filing devices. In the works I have a little CP planishing hammer to modify and set up, some thoughts on a louver press, and been staring at power hammer ideas a lot lately (mostly dreaming).

Mostly I just really hope that I can learn something and hopefully even contribute something. I'm just a hobbyist, but I don't use that as an excuse to do things the wrong way. I want to learn the right way and the best way to shape and fabricate metal into whatever I can dream up.

Anyway, glad to be here... I've said too much.

THANK YOU! GOOD NIGHT!

Scott Schmeiser
http://scootermcrad.blogspot.com/
Old 10-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Administrator

In case anyone is wondering, Scott's car started as a Murray 4-door sedan!

Welcome aboard Scooter!

Tim D.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Scott, welcome to AllMetalShaping, glad to have you as a member. Sorry to hear that you have a disease that with cars. Don't think we can help you with that. Hope I don't catch it because I hear there is no cure. Looks like you have a lot of skill already. Thanks for joining us.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:46 PM

That is one nice piece of work!!!
I love the front suspension ....but I don't think they would let me have it set up like that, here in Western Australia.
Welcome
Old 10-11-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hartson View Post
Scott, welcome to AllMetalShaping, glad to have you as a member. Sorry to hear that you have a disease that with cars. Don't think we can help you with that. Hope I don't catch it because I hear there is no cure. Looks like you have a lot of skill already. Thanks for joining us.
That's correct! No cure to speak of. It's terminal... Or as I like to say... It's the disease that you either die WITH or die BECAUSE of.

Thanks Joe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashty View Post
That is one nice piece of work!!!
I love the front suspension ....but I don't think they would let me have it set up like that, here in Western Australia.
Welcome
Thanks Nashty!

Already been doing a little browsing and I have to say I'm very impressed with the site! Good stuff!

Scott Schmeiser
Old 10-11-2010, 06:12 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan. 2011, Nov. 2016

Scott I have both the car and tool disease. You have all of the advanced simptoms of both I'm afraid. Welcome to another web site
Old 10-11-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyce View Post
Scott I have both the car and tool disease. You have all of the advanced simptoms of both I'm afraid. Welcome to another web site
Yes! Very advanced!

Scott Schmeiser
Old 10-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

So this started as a 4 door? Do you have any photos of the body modifications?
Old 10-12-2010, 04:18 PM

Welcome! Nice looking ride! That thing gotta hemi in it??

Kevin H
Old 10-12-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
So this started as a 4 door? Do you have any photos of the body modifications?
I have tons of pictures! Too many to post, really. I have a huge thread over on the HAMB if anyone is interested. Here's how it started out though...

The body was chopped 3", channeled 4" with an entirely new sub-floor constructed, roof was sectioned and shortened in length A LOT, 1-1/8" were removed from the rear panel width, and the overall length was shortened by 27 and 3/8" (I think it was). The rear quarter windows were re-shaped, B-pillars angled in about 1° to line up with the door, and the wheels wells were filled using parts of a 51 Chevy hood and using the rear door patch panels as a guide. Floors, trans tunnel, and firewall were made from scratch using 18 gage steel. Peaked and chopped the 32 grille shell.

Left to do:

Finish the roof panels, A pillars, Door pillars, final touches and smoothing of the chop, redo a couple seams that are bothering me, finish the rear panels and lower body lines that wrap around the side, re-construct the inside bottom of the doors, finish the firewall and repair a couple pin holes in the cowl, and the BIG project will be to build a removable aluminum roof insert that will be completely riveted. No welds. It will eventually get a partial hood for road trips. I also plan to build a grille insert from scratch as well. Something similar to the Pines Winterfront inserts, but without the insulating slats.

Here's the build thread for those who are interested. There are about 30 threads related to the build, but they're all linked in the thread below:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=437990

I'm REALLY REALLY looking forward to learning some new techniques to make things go smoother (no pun intended) and really hope I can bring some fresh ideas to the forum as well.

Scott Schmeiser