All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > GETTING STARTED > Introductions
Register All Albums Event Calendar Today's Posts Search
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-26-2017, 10:46 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2021

Default Registered at 17, rediscovered forum at 21

Hello. My name is Jerry.

I found this forum a few days ago and watched the automotive section actively and got intrigued. So I decided to register only to find I had already registered when I was 17 back in 2012(?). Oh well.
Feel like a new introduction may be in place since I have been inactive.

As of now I am 21 years old, live in Finland and have been dealing with cars and bodywork since I was around 16. Started out with some work on a 65 VW Beetle that is still unfinished because of military service, school and other projects that got my interest. Feel like I have gotten better at shaping metal since then (hopefully), but still a complete novice compared to most here.

I have been doing some sheet metal replacement on my 86 El Camino since this fall and the goal is to have it patched up and painted before next fall. But we'll see ...that was the goal I had for my Beetle a few years back as well.

Bought an english wheel a few months ago but other than that my sheet metal tools are pretty basic. No proper brake, shrinker/stretcher yet. I do however use an old manual bead roller with about 3-4 dies sometimes with limited know-how.

Here are some random pics of some sheet metal projects of mine:

Doors were completely rusted and made out of filler so did my best trying to wheel some new partial skins.

Did the other side as well:

This side turned out a bit better. Didn't manage to tip the edges too well so had to cut those off and weld the ends later.

A picture of my VW as it stands now, the chassi/floorpan has been blasted and painted a few years back as well.

Anyway, hope to gain some more experience both from working more with metal and watching this forum as well.