All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-17-2010, 11:56 AM

Default Gas welding stainless

I am fabricating an exhaust system(head pipes and possibly mufflers) for a motorcycle out of stainless (304), and was wondering if there is anything specific that I should be aware of i.e. flame, filler material etc.

I have some SS flux from Tinmantech, so I have figured that much out.

On MetalMeet before the meltdown, there were a number of excellent threads on gas welding stainless...
Old 04-17-2010, 04:57 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Aug. '09 & Mar. '11 Rest In Peace Ken 1960-2011

Hi Derrol,

This is a perfect question to ask Pugsy next weekend, as he's welding stainless all the time. He's even welding up a new stainless frame for his '41 right now!

See you next week.

Ken
Old 04-17-2010, 08:52 PM

Yes, I definitely will be asking him next week. I am hoping that he will also bring some SS materials...wouldn't mind pilfering some filler rods .

Input from others would be most welcome as well. I just know there was some good info in the past on gas welding SS that I unfortunately didn't copy from MetalMeet BC (Before Crash).

I recall a guy on MetalMeet, AeroMetalWorker I believe his username was, mentioning having a 3x carburizing flame. Tips like that is what I am looking for.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:45 PM

Gas welding stainless is really no different than gas welding steel except for the following requirements:

1) Flux both sides of the joint and the filler rod.

2) Set flame slightly rich on acetylene (carburizing flame)

3) Use Tig filler rod with low carbon designation (304L, 316L etc). Use a filler rod at least the number of the alloy you are welding i.e. 304 can use 304L or 316L. If you are welding 304 to mild steel use 309 filler rod.

Remember that SS hates oxygen and carbon (makes the heat affected zone brittle, crack prone, and rust prone). That's why I use only a slightly carburizing flame and flux everything. It is also a good idea to use a pickling paste after welding to passivate the heat affected zone. Properly done, you will have porosity free welds that you can polish to a mirror finish if desired.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:01 AM

Excellent tips. Thank you.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:47 PM

I haven't gas welded SS, but on the Henrob video, they don't use flux, just a carburizing flame with SS Tig rod (or a slice of the metal you're welding). What benefits are there with using the flux?
Old 04-20-2010, 04:05 PM

Cal D
the flux you are referring to same as brazing flux or silver soldering flux? I am afraid if I go into my welding supply house they will think I am crackers if I ask for stainless welding flux they think I am nut hen talkking gas welding aluminum
Old 04-20-2010, 08:07 PM

Hi Ken,

This is a link to the Harris web site where they offer stainless flux for gas welding...Welding supplies are toward the bottom of the page.

http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/c...les/fluxes.asp

Dave
Old 04-20-2010, 08:40 PM

Thanks you I am curious to tryit I bought lens for aluminum and played a little but weather got to cold for good ventilation. I need to get back at it .
Old 04-21-2010, 09:36 PM

I use a flux called Solar Flux Type B and is used only for welding, not brazing or soldering. Pretty easy to find on the internet or your local weld supply house. It needs to be mixed with methanol to get the best results. HEAT brand dry gas from your local auto supply house works just fine. If you go to the manufacturers web site you can read how to use it.