All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-21-2019, 09:58 PM

Hey Guys,

Yes I do plan on a rotisserie. It will run through the center of the car through the whole you can see in the battery box in the fire wall, and the trunk opening gets filled with plywood, then a hole in the middle for a pipe to be run through the car front to back. tried and tested works well.

OK the doors need more support, I agree. Charlie, the tubing between the door hinge and the "B" pillar is welded to the cross member top tube. Are you suggesting an additional tube at the top of the door opening from the "A" pillar to the "B" pillar? What about the idea of a 45* from the front cross tube to the center lower angle iron of the center brace? If I understand it correctly the issue is the door opening either folding open or closed depending on the stresses to the car when being worked on while on the rotisserie or any time really.
I may need to revisit my design. Appreciate the help guys, looking forward to more discussion..

TX
Mr fixit
Chris
Old 02-22-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr fixit View Post
OK the doors need more support, I agree. Charlie, the tubing between the door hinge and the "B" pillar is welded to the cross member top tube. Are you suggesting an additional tube at the top of the door opening from the "A" pillar to the "B" pillar? What about the idea of a 45* from the front cross tube to the center lower angle iron of the center brace? If I understand it correctly the issue is the door opening either folding open or closed depending on the stresses to the car when being worked on while on the rotisserie or any time really.
TX
Mr fixit
Chris
Yes, I think a truss on the top of the door openings would guarantee no movement when the car is lifted, provided that the sills are in good condition.

When the car is on its side the top truss will be in tension and the bottom one in compression which should be fine. The cross-truss, which you have installed behind the seats, should help to control any twist of the body whilst it is on the rotisserie.

45 degree braces from the dashboard area to the centre of the cross-truss will help.

It is a bit hard to visualise it all and make comment. What may help you, is to fold a cardboard model – imagine a shoe-box with no lid – and cut out the door openings in the sides. Using some BBQ kebab sticks and hot-glue, add the truss across the box. Gently bend the box in your hands to see if it is getting stiffer. Add the door trusses; try twisting and bending the box. Add a brace or two and try twisting and bending, etc.

When it seems pretty stable cut out the floor with scissors and see if the shape has become unstable.

And finally; mount the box on a simulated rotisserie and see how it performs when you try to twist or bend the structure.

This sounds like a lot of work, but it is cheap and easy will only take a few minutes in front of the TV and is actually fun to do.

It is surprising how strong glue, wood and cardboard can be on model structures. A 1:10 scale model of a hipped roof, as found on a house, will support the weight of a man quite easily when properly constructed, and gives the apprentice carpenter an appreciation of what it is, she is trying to make.

Cheers Charlie
Old 02-22-2019, 08:25 PM

Hi Charlie,

What great specific advice. The model of a cardboard example in the works tonight. Will report back what I find.

TX
Mr fixit
Chris