All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-11-2020, 10:13 AM

Default Blue ? Magenta lens

Has anyone tried the blue or magenta colored lenses for tig or gas welding? Was wondering if it made the puddle easier too see?

Thanks

Last edited by THOMAS KINGma; 05-11-2020 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:48 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month August 2018

Hi,

I have a old set of cobalt blue gas welding lenses that I got from my great uncle that worked at Lockheed during the war. They work ok, but I recommend the TM2000 lenses from TM Technologies. The cobalt blues cut down on the sodium flare from the gas welding flux, but the TM2000 filter it almost completely away and are better for your long term eye health. I guess the guy who designed the TM lenses comes on the forum from time to time...

The shade level would seem to be to light for TIG welding, but I have never tried it.

Hope it helps,

Bill

"A sign of a good machinist, is one who can fix his F$@& Ups" My mentor and friend, Gil Zietz Micro Metric Machine.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:04 PM

Hi bill,
i have the tm2000 lens, it didn't help me much with gas welding steel, (i know it's mainly for alum) i'm just trying to exhaust all possibilities that i can to improve my ablity to see the puddle with tig & gas with my poor vision.

I believe the blue & magenta lens require additional shaded lenses.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:44 AM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Hi Tom
My old eyes like lots of light directed on the work.
I also have glasses with the reading prescription for the whole lens, not just at the bottom.
I then use a 2 power magnifier lens in my helmet and or goggles.
View is now large and in focus!
Easy to weld when you can see.
Steve
Old 05-12-2020, 07:58 AM

Hi steve,
i have a 3x cheater lens in my goggles, they do help quite a bit, but i was curious if the colored lenses really help to separate the temp difference in the puddle area. Being legally blind, i have trouble seeing surface tension, so it's hard for me to see the wetness of the puddle.

I've seen some of these lenses that cost around $75 & see some on ebay that cost about $22, wasn't sure if these lenses are a gimic or not.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:11 AM

Default Lenses

I would suggest the TN 2000 lenses.I tried about everything trying to learn togas weld aluminum. This are the only lenses that I could identify the best flame, and the puddle formation. I’m 71 and don’t have great sight, so these were a pleasant surprise. Should have bought them first and saved money!
Old 05-12-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THOMAS KINGma View Post
Hi steve,
i have a 3x cheater lens in my goggles, they do help quite a bit, but i was curious if the colored lenses really help to separate the temp difference in the puddle area. Being legally blind, i have trouble seeing surface tension, so it's hard for me to see the wetness of the puddle.

I've seen some of these lenses that cost around $75 & see some on ebay that cost about $22, wasn't sure if these lenses are a gimic or not.
First Tom bravo to you for not letting your sight issue stop you. As for the TM2000 and steel, I don't think it will help you as it is more of a filter than an enhancer, if that makes sense. Kent developed it to filter out the orange flare that aluminum flux makes when gas welding.

Try taking your welding setup (eyewear) to your Optometrist and see if they will make you a set of single vision glasses to work with your cheaters.

Came across this post on another forum where someone did that:
"I took my welding helmet to my optometrist with the cheater lens installed. We tried different focal distances using different sizes of printed text to represent the various weld puddle sizes. She made me a prescription for single vision glasses which I use primarily for welding but also use for reading."

Old 05-13-2020, 07:41 AM

Thanks chris,
yeah, i know the tm2000 is mainly for use with the flux, but kent mentioned that some users had some luck with it when welding steel & tig welding, so i figured it was worth a shot. I already had the lens from 20+ yrs ago, but never tried it. That's why i'm asking about the colored lenses, i wasn't sure if they would highlight different tems of the surface area of the puddle. I've seen youtubes of them being used for tig, but nothing for oxy-actyl welding

i'll have to give the optometrist some thought, i think my problem is with surface tension, it's hard to see the difference in the molten surface, plus, i have nearly zero depth perception, so i have to keep checking my distance with a piece of welding rod.

And, there's also a good chance my torch is set up wrong
Old 05-13-2020, 09:21 AM

Consider trying a "dry eyes" product. Former college roommate who became an optomotrist, working for an eye surgeon recommends "Blink" I like the thicker solution.

Tears have 3 layers and, as you age, one layer breaks down. This changes the refractive index of the eye and "makes" things blurry.

I started the problem and find it helpful (but doesn't restore to original performance).

Second thing, about "cheaters" The ability to accommodate deminishing as we age is apparently related to the fibers that connect the iris muscles with the lens. The stretch and lose the ability to "flatten" the lens sufficient (in my case) to achieve "near" focus.

FWIW
Old 05-13-2020, 01:43 PM

Add "floaters" to the mix for even more fun.