All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 06-20-2009, 08:41 PM

Default Rob's Camaro Flares

Hi guys-

I have a question regarding what gauge to use on my project.

What I'm doing is widening the rear quarter panels on a 4th generation F-Body Camaro.

These are not lips for the wheel wells, but instead, I'm going to chop out 80% of the existing rear quarter panels and replace it with shaped steel, widening the rear about 2 3/4" on each side. (I want to do it in steel since it's part of the body's structure, for stiffness)

There will be a broad crown.
I was thinking 18 or 20 gauge, for ease of shaping.

Your thoughts?
Old 06-20-2009, 08:49 PM
Administrator

My thoughts? Try to measure what is there now. Failing that, any chance of finding a 4th Gen in the local junkyard? Maybe cut a section out of the quarter to check the factory steel? Maybe a local bodyshop?

You'll want to stay as close as possible to the factory thickness, since welding different thicknesses of metal together can be a challenge to get smooth and metal finishing the welds will be more difficult.

That would be my suggestion.

Tim D.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:56 PM

Hmm.. I hadn't thought of that. I have a freind that owns a body shop, so I'll ask him.

I was just leery of using too heavy a gauge, making it diificult to shape.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:20 PM
Administrator

I think it is more about getting a good interface between the existing metal and the shaped pieces. You get used to working 18ga after a while. 20ga almost feels like cheating and aluminum works too easy after a steady diet of 18

Tim D.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

I'm pretty sure it won't be 18 or 19 ga. I'm betting 20 or 22.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:38 AM
Administrator

I don't know much about Camaro's but if I were to guess,I would guess that rear quarter is just spot welded in.I would try to make the whole quarter if it was me.

I not sure on the thickness of the metal but I would bet Kerry was right.I would guess 20 or 22g myself.

I have a theory on the metal thickness.I bet at the Gm's stamping plant,they put in a piece of 18g and after they stamp it it comes out 20 or 22g.

From what I can see in that quarter panel,there is a lot of stretching.So if you start with 22 gauge it will be tin foil by the time you get it into shape.

I would use 18g if I could not find any 19g.I think 19g would be perfect.

This would be an awesome project.The only thing is if you do the back you have to do the front as well

This forum is dedicated to Metal Shaping.
Please stay on topic.

Last edited by jhnarial; 06-21-2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:52 AM
Administrator

I disagree, John. To the automakers, weight savings is cost savings. Cars these days are made from some THIN stuff. Sure, the Camaro in question isn't brand new, but they started thinning stuff out in the 70s.

I really is probably closer to 20 ga to start. From my experience with late model stuff, you won't find anywhere on a body panel (flange, center, or otherwise) that is close to 18ga.

Our techniques are different than a 1500 ton transfer press, but I don't think the steel will really thin out that much.

Just my opinion. A panel or 2 from a body shop would tell the real story on the car in question.

Tim D.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:00 AM
Administrator

I agree with that Tim.

But if you do the whole quarter panel It does not have to mate up to anything.Except for maybe behind the b pillar.

There is a lot of stretching in that quarter I bet a piece of 19g would be a lot closer to 20g when you were done.

This forum is dedicated to Metal Shaping.
Please stay on topic.

Last edited by jhnarial; 06-21-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnarial View Post
But if you do the whole quarter panel It does not have to mate up to anything.
Ok, you got me on that one!

Doing the whole quarter is probably the way to go, considering how much needs to be cut out of the existing quarter.

Tim D.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:46 AM

I wouldnt do the whole quarter, too much detail to do that is allready there and done. I'd cut it, space it out, brace it, and blend the extended panel into the original, all on the car. in the meantime, the quarter will be seperated from the outer weel well, giving needed access to the inside.

Then, cutting the weel well, moving it to match the outside panel, and basically filling the gap.

I agree with tim, the metal needs to be mic'd to determine the proper gague. and it may very well be an alloy'd steel, high strength something or other? thats how they can get away with thinner materials. Heavy shrinking causes little change in thickness percentage wise, as well as die forming stretching, like what is found on this quarter panel.

Marty