All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Events
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-08-2016, 06:26 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Default Mini Meet at the Redneck 'Ranch'

Saturday, Sunday, today and possible tomorrow, a small group of four of us got together here in Rock Hill for additional progress on our projects. Jim Hery, my friends, David Rumely and Jere Peterson, (an ex engineer/fabricator for Indian Motorcycles) gathered in the sweltering heat to group grope some of our projects. I tore down some of the speedster panels to begin 'metal finishing' under the guidance of Jim, while David helped with the Model A speedster as we laid out the cooling fan build for the cooling system behind the radiator. Jim started the assembly of the first two Buggati radiator shells, while Jere sought assistance in the build of a custom motorcycle gas tank. Jim was most helpful in that endeavor. I got another go cart tire put on the black wheeling machine. We also took some time this afternoon to unload our new wheeling machines. Jimmy Matthews, whose shop unloads the Tommasini wheeling machines for us and assists in the palletizing of the wheels that are shipped is also a very good wood worker. He took the time to make Jim and I a hand made set of Vixen file handles. He also made a set for the upcoming Redneck Roundup tool exchange and some additional ones for door prizes. Jere also helped me rebuild a live center for the lathe.

ewheelday1 001.jpg

ewheelday1 002.jpg

ewheelday1 004.jpg

ewheelday1 006.jpg

ewheelday1 008.jpg

ewheelday1 009.jpg

ewheelday1 011.jpg

ewheelday1 016.jpg

ewheelday1 019.jpg

ewheelday1 022.jpg

jIM&jERE 004.jpg

jIM&jERE 008.jpg

jIM&jERE 012.jpg

jIM&jERE 014.jpg

jIM&jERE 015.jpg

jIM&jERE 016.jpg

jIM&jERE 023.jpg

jIM&jERE 025.jpg

jIM&jERE 026.jpg
Old 08-08-2016, 07:20 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month August 2018

Hi,

Looks like a fun time, cheers from Wisconsin.

"A sign of a good machinist, is one who can fix his F$@& Ups" My mentor and friend, Gil Zietz Micro Metric Machine.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:44 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Look like a fun mini meet. Wish I lived closer!!!

Steve
Old 08-09-2016, 09:55 AM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Lovin' the Bugatti shroud! Nice work (and haircut!) Jim!
Old 08-09-2016, 10:40 AM

Still at it today. Jim has been spending time on the bike gas tank along with Jere, and we have been measuring more an working on the G-code to CNC the prototype hub for using the go-kart wheel on Peter's machine.

KartTire2.jpg

KartTire3.jpg

KartTire4.jpg

KartStuff 003.jpg

KartStuff 002.jpg
Old 08-11-2016, 12:57 PM
MetalShaper of the Month July '14

Not sure how I nearly missed this thread, what a great idea just a handful of guys working individually but also helping out where needed, love how those Bugatti Rad Shells are coming together, something to aspire to.

Thanks Will for taking the time to share it with us.

Follow the Dream - Sideways - - But don't fall-off the edge

'good to know you guys care'
https://ctrestorations.com/
Old 08-11-2016, 04:27 PM

This was the last day of the informal 'mini-meet' and as usual we had to head north to visit some old racing friends to observe their efforts at metal work, shaping and fabrication in general. We first went to Ray Evernham motorsport museum in Mooresville, N.C. where we took several photos, then we went into some of the inner 'rooms' at Hendrick Motorsports in Concord, N.C. in the shadows of the Charlotte Motor Speedway,where we were not allowed to take any photos. An old employee of mine is in charge of the body work and frame building departments. Also met a few Hendrick employees with special talents, and not mentioning their names as I did not ask permission to. We then headed north to Statesville, N.C. where we met with our metal shaping and Redneck Roundup attendee, Mike Yorko who showed us the trophy that they just received for winning the race at Pocono last week.

The next two pictures below are the current state of the gas tank that is being built by Jim Hery, with help from Jere Peterson

EvernHam 006.jpg

EvernHam 007.jpg

The photo below is a car associated with racing legend, Dan Gurney
EvernHam 010.jpg

The next two photos are al all steel bodied car - builder not know, but work is extremely nice.
EvernHam 011.jpg

EvernHam 012.jpg

This picture shows Jim Hery standing with Ray Evernham car builder Eddie Bohn from the famous Bohn racing family in New England. The car was built, owed and driven by Andy Granatelli
EvernHam 014.jpg

An all steel '20's speedster of unknown origin. It is in original as found condition.
EvernHam 016.jpg

This is a restored Indy 500 car once driven by Dan Gurney
EvernHam 018.jpg

Another view of the all steel '20's speedster.
EvernHam 017.jpg

This is the restored Mario Andretti Indy car that was shown being acquired by Ray on his TV show 'Americarna' last year.
EvernHam 020.jpg

A newer style Indy car once owned and driven by A.J. Foyt
EvernHam 022.jpg

I originally thought that this might have been one of my original stock car because it has my NASCAR number on it, but close inspection discover not to be true.
EvernHam 023.jpg

Five of the next six pictures are of a street car estimated to be capable of going near 200 MPH. It is an older NASCAR COT (Car of Tomorrow) that was modified to mount this body on it. Dan at Ray's shop did an enormous amount of VERY nice aluminum work on this car, including the engine compartment and trunk area and all of the interior including the door panels. Sweet work! In existing condition, it went 160 MPH up against the chip at 8,000 RPM
EvernHam 024.jpg

EvernHam 026.jpg

EvernHam 028.jpg

EvernHam 029.jpg

This a Ray Evernham sprint car with a completely hand made body and wings.
EvernHam 036.jpg

EvernHam 038.jpg

The afore mentioned group in the Front Row Motorsports office with the Pocono trophy. This is a small independent team that has one two races in the last 4-years. Both Gannassi Racing and Childress teams are winless in those same four years.
EvernHam 041.jpg
Old 08-12-2016, 01:41 AM
MetalShaper of the Month July '14

Thanks Will, looks like you had a fun day with some good memories for you, the Gurney car first in the series of photos looks like a 33 bodied Dodge Roadster do you have a rear view in your collection. Me being into Plymouths of that era most of the Chrysler brands used the same bodies. I know a historical race car restorer if I was to visit his shop he would make sure I didn't have my mobile in my pocket.

Thanks again for a great update.

Follow the Dream - Sideways - - But don't fall-off the edge

'good to know you guys care'
https://ctrestorations.com/
Old 08-12-2016, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Man, you gotta let me know next time you do one of these, I'll make the trip from Raleigh.

And I'll bring food!

"I've never met someone with so much tenacity in all my life." - RockHillWill

@madscientistind
Old 08-15-2016, 08:40 AM

The impromptu finally has come to a conclusion. It has been a GREAT week for a number of us. Scot White, the professor from Philly that does our 3D scanning came down to get his Tommasini wheeling machine, and helped on each of our projects. Mike Yorko from front Row Motorsports came down and we worked an a valance panel for an older Chevy Suburban that he is restoring.

Below, Jim Hery, Scott White, Jimmy Matthews and Mike Yorko help Scott load his wheeling machine. At right is a stump that Scott got from Jimmy.
PeterParts 011.jpg

Below, Jim and Mike use the Pullmax on Mikes valance panel.
PeterParts 012.jpg

Below, Mike, Scott and Jim test the fit against Mikes hammer forming buck. Mike brought a very nice set of nylon hammer forming inserts for his rivet gun.
PeterParts 014.jpg

Below, Jim and Mike are using the larger of the power shrinkers with the 40mm Eckold dies to shrink the perimeter of the valance panerl.
PeterParts 015.jpg

Below, shows that half of the eight imported wheeling machines have been taken by the customers. The last four are scheduled to be shipped soon!
PeterParts 008.jpg