All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-28-2016, 12:05 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHillWill View Post
Bob Kolenda was down for the week and was VERY instrumental in bringing the speedster much closer to actually being a viable car. He did all the instrumentation, wiring, plumbing and detail fabrication to bring it to the point where we got the motor started on Saturday. The pictures loaded a little bit out of order. We spent the earlier part of the week visiting some local points of interest and acquiring the myriad of detailed parts that are needed when running down the check list that is at the end of a long project. many futtings, bolts, etc and the occasional hamburger required many trips, but on Saturday we finally got to 'light' this thing up. The motor had not been turned over in many months, so we had to 'lubricate' the cylinders. There was quite a bit of the lubricant still in the cylinders, and when it finally 'lit', it looked there was a familiar Australian metal shaper ( the one that uses a torch to shrink aluminum.... ) doing the work. This car has no muffler, and when it started, it belched flames and fire from the header, sending smoke throughout the shop and it is rumored that there is no worry about mosquitos for the rest of the summer here in York County, South Carolina. John Kluttz, a well known Model A engine builder, happened to arrive at the shop shortly prior to starting the motor, and minimized the time it may have taken to sort out any 'issues'. Because I had installed dual carbs, I had installed gauges to monitor vacuum and the small oil pressure among other gauges. Bob was very adept at mating the two carbs in a manner that we can accelerate them at the same time and choke them simultaneously, but we will have to adjust the GAV separately. It has been a long time since I have had this much fun. Many thanks to Bob Kolenda and Charles Camp.

Attachment 38633

The smile in this pic says it all.

Congrats Will.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 08-28-2016, 03:33 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHillWill View Post
Bob Kolenda was down for the week and was VERY instrumental in bringing the speedster much closer to actually being a viable car. He did all the instrumentation, wiring, plumbing and detail fabrication to bring it to the point where we got the motor started on Saturday. The pictures loaded a little bit out of order. We spent the earlier part of the week visiting some local points of interest and acquiring the myriad of detailed parts that are needed when running down the check list that is at the end of a long project. many futtings, bolts, etc and the occasional hamburger required many trips, but on Saturday we finally got to 'light' this thing up. The motor had not been turned over in many months, so we had to 'lubricate' the cylinders. There was quite a bit of the lubricant still in the cylinders, and when it finally 'lit', it looked there was a familiar Australian metal shaper ( the one that uses a torch to shrink aluminum.... ) doing the work. This car has no muffler, and when it started, it belched flames and fire from the header, sending smoke throughout the shop and it is rumored that there is no worry about mosquitos for the rest of the summer here in York County, South Carolina. John Kluttz, a well known Model A engine builder, happened to arrive at the shop shortly prior to starting the motor, and minimized the time it may have taken to sort out any 'issues'. Because I had installed dual carbs, I had installed gauges to monitor vacuum and the small oil pressure among other gauges. Bob was very adept at mating the two carbs in a manner that we can accelerate them at the same time and choke them simultaneously, but we will have to adjust the GAV separately. Because I had to lower the radiator to lower the nose, you can see that we had to make a 'jackshaft' to turn the fan. We cut a generator pulley and welded it to the water pump shaft to drive the fan mounted below the water pump. I cut another generator pullet to fit that shaft.It has been a long time since I have had this much fun. Many thanks to Bob Kolenda and Charles Camp.
Attachment 38619

Attachment 38620

Attachment 38621

Attachment 38622

Attachment 38623

Attachment 38624

Attachment 38625

Attachment 38626

Attachment 38627

Attachment 38628

Attachment 38629

Attachment 38630

Attachment 38631

Attachment 38632

Attachment 38633

Attachment 38634

Attachment 38635

Attachment 38636
Wow, such fun !!
Would have loved to have been there, Will.
Very nice dash.....

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:34 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Congrats Will!!!!!!
Always fun to see a fresh engine come to life!!!

Hey can I borrow that car for a while we have a healthy crop of Mosquitos !!

Steve
Old 08-28-2016, 06:50 PM

Great to have GOOD friends !!!

"To Be or To Do" John Boyd
Old 08-29-2016, 05:44 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
The smile in this pic says it all.

Congrats Will.
No quite the same smile Will had last Year when he saw me approaching the tail panel with the big torch I never seen any body going green in the face that quick.......
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM

Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 08-29-2016 at 05:46 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:17 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Thanks, guys. It is a fact that I have more great friends than anyone deserves, but I enjoy the heck out of each one as a treasure. Kent, it would have been that much better if you had been there, you would of had a chuckle at us all! Peter, believe me... I gave that a thought at that very moment as I looked at the flames and smoke..... Steve, you are more than welcome to come and get this for your own use. I will hook up the brakes after you return it. LOL!
Old 08-30-2016, 05:44 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

This great getting it running. True milestone that.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:48 PM

Hello Will,

Nice work, given me jealous push to get mine up and running now.

Stop moving so fast, you're creating a breeze.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:51 AM

Congratulations on getting it running Will!!
Old 09-02-2016, 11:02 PM
MetalShaper of the Month February 2021

Default Model A sprinter

Hi Will,
I am almost as lucky with friends as you are ! My gang love old race cars. Professor Karl beamer , one of the finest Gold leafers in the country does the painting and lettering. Len Deren mechanic and machinist, Pasco Umbriac does the heavy welding [ he does better than me } And my Aussie friend helps when he is in the country. John Loxton of Austrailia is in the car I do the fabricating and louvers. If I had to pay them I could never Have all the cars I have. The Cook bros from Ben Cook racing have always given me great help.

Name:  DCP_1210.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  82.8 KB