All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65
Default Something to think about

I got a PM last week that got my attention. I was talking to an old acquaintance who has not been active in the community. Buried in his response to my question was this paragraph:

Quote:
...I normally do not post much, but this site seems to have no one bashing every word that another guy writes. This is good. I will probably participate more. I am pretty good at metal work and rust repair, but I don't feel like having a guy tell me that what I have been getting paid to do for 30 years is all wrong. These sites are great for information and I learn something new almost every day...
Ever since these online communities started, we've struggled with WHY some folks just won't post. There are lots and lots of talented shapers out there and, while some don't post because they can't type or aren't comfortable on the computer, others just rarely do. I believe the above is a big reason why.

I don't know much but I do know for certain that there are many, MANY ways to get the metal into the desired shape and arrangement. Many folks have a certain approach that they understand and works well for them. Many times we've seen someone post something and immediately they get slapped with all the other ways that are 'better'. Many of those many times, the person drops off the map...refer to the above quote.

Imo, there is a big lesson here that we ALL should think about.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Administrator

That is well said Kerry.

I totally agree. I hope everyone feels at home here the more that share the better our community will be.

This forum is dedicated to Metal Shaping.
Please stay on topic.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:38 PM

Thanks Kerry! In my opinion, you nailed it. How civil a place is can make or break it. People need to feel safe, especially the newbies.

My mama said once, "If you've got nothing nice to say, keep your damn pie hole shut!"

Of course, I'm guilty of expressing myself in a less than helpful way more than once.

I'll end my touchy-feely rant with a funny cartoon that's been kicking around the WWW for a while:

I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:25 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Mar. 2010

That is 100 percent correct but I think that every one deals with a little bit of smack talk out in the shop being a friend or the metal that will not go with the flow but its nice that its not here but I think that alot of other guys think they don't have any thing to contribute to the group so they just sit and read well that is just not true!

NEW GUYS ASK QUESTIONS THIS IS THE BEST PLACE TO GET YOUR ANSWER!!
I didn't post anything for along time until I thought that it was worth while but every thing is relative and there are
No dumb questions!!!

https://imperialwheelingmachines.com/
Old 05-22-2010, 09:14 PM
Metalshaper of the Month, May 2010

Sounds like the basis for a good motto...

Old 05-23-2010, 02:15 AM

Kerry-
Your friend has a really valid point. I am new to the metal spinning way of shaping metal and I learned it entirely on the net, in forums and watching countless hours of youtube. I've asked so many stupid questions as only a beginner can. I have been told I was off my rocker and I have conversed with several really helpful people out there and have nothing but thanks and appreciation for there knowledge and the time they have given me. I was brought up to believe the dumb question is the one not asked. The on dumb answer is the one not honestly given.

I have always told apprentice's there are as many ways to skin a cat as there are people doing it. Then I go on and tell them my

This forum seems to be such a place.

As my time permits, I hope to inspire, teach and learn from everyone here.

Thanks for listening
Old 05-23-2010, 08:32 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan. 2010

We all need to remember some net edittque (red neck speillinn).. Not all guys paint the fence the same way, but there's plenty of fence to paint.

I like to take away what might work for me, don't bash anything (cause it'll work when no one is looking and you try it!)
Old 05-23-2010, 10:56 AM

Opinions are like belly buttons and butt holes, we all got 'em. Some are innies, some are outies, we all know they are there and showing them is pointless if not offensive. Positive and constructive feedback is what drives this forum and is why guys like me who are not confident in some of their abilities keep coming back. I can learn as much from a bad example as I can a good one. If you have 30+ years of experience, right or otherwise and you share it on this forum, I sincerely appreciate it being shared on this site as I see you graciously shortening the learning curve of others by DECADES! If someone has an alternate technique or experience it can be posted as a constructive piece of input for individual consideration. Any negativity and self serving input is not what this site is about and well, it just plain sucks. THANK YOU to all who share the good and the bad on this post.
Ray Koch of the Hamburger chain business said "None of us is as good as all of us". I have had a better burger than the on he sells, but he hasn't sold Billions of 'em because he didn't know what he was talking about. I hope that spirit will continue to drive this community as well.
Just me talking,
Gando
Old 05-23-2010, 11:05 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

The problems arise because some people are too thin skinned and can’t take any criticisms at all on technique from anyone no mater how helpful that person is trying to be. Other people whom have become “legends in their own minds” post photos of their work but only for accolades & atta-boys, God forbid that you might post even 1 negative thought about their technique or work, all of a sudden it becomes personal because they somehow take it as an assault on their image. We all tend to think our method is the best way and get a little pig headed about it (including me) but if someone has a comment on your work engage him with questions before your anger, you might just see his point and save yourself from stomach agitation. Try to keep in mind these groups are called DISCUSSION GROUPS and if people are only going to be allowed to post positive comments there just isn’t going to be much to discuss . ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 05-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Buchtenkirch View Post
...Try to keep in mind these groups are called DISCUSSION GROUPS and if people are only going to be allowed to post positive comments there just isn’t going to be much to discuss . ~ John Buchtenkirch
I don't think it's the negative comments that are as important as HOW the negative comment are presented. I'm not turning into a touchy feeley kind of guy and everyone who has ever met me knows I'm pretty directy...especially for a Southerner. That said, Theres saying things and theres SAYING things...you know what I mean?

For the regulars, imo, it's fine for us to argue strongly about whatever, (welding for instance) but to pounce on a new guy who probably doesn't know the group dynamics is something else.

A few weeks ago Wizzy and Jason presented their take on shrinking (annular rings http://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=1283). They got jumped on pretty hard for something that indeed clearly works for them. Yeah, yeah, I know they may have challenged some cherished beliefs with some prose that could have probably been presented better. But that aside, I'll be surprised if they come back much based on their reception. And if they don't it will be a loss to the community because they clearly had something to offer.

I guess my point is, we should be a little more considerate of the new guys.