All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-17-2018, 09:58 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month August 2018

Default Skill builder Ewheel practice panel oil can issue

Hi,

I was fortunate last Saturday to spend time with Joe Stafford of Panel Craft in New Hampshire. One piece I worked on was the classic apprentice panel of putting shape in, then taking the shape out of a 12"x12" 3003 aluminum panel with only the use of a English wheel. My time became limited due to the flight home, but I was able to finish the panel to Joes satisfaction.

Tonight after work in my shop, I did the same panel again. Put shape in, nice looking panel, took the shape back out. This time I developed a oil can. I find solving oil can issue one of the harder aspects of metal shaping. This skill builder is to solve the issue with the English wheel, no heat, shrinking disk, pullmax, eckold just the wheel. Due to lack of time tonight, I had to stop. My plan of attack is to find the tight area and stretch it. So the question, how do you find the area of issue?

Thank you

Bill

"A sign of a good machinist, is one who can fix his F$@& Ups" My mentor and friend, Gil Zietz Micro Metric Machine.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:34 PM

Check out this thread
http://allmetalshaping.com/showthrea...ghlight=oilcan
No definitive answers to your question but a lot of comments and ideas that will assist you in thinking through the problem.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:01 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTromblay View Post
Hi,
This time I developed a oil can. I find solving oil can issue one of the harder aspects of metal shaping. This skill builder is to solve the issue with the English wheel, no heat, shrinking disk, pullmax, eckold just the wheel. My plan of attack is to find the tight area and stretch it.

So the question, how do you find the area of issue?

Thank you

Bill
Straight edge?

(Good practice on .032 2024T3)

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:50 AM

How I would approach it.....

1. Measure crown

2. Stretch outer edge

3. Measure crown, if it's getting better repeat process.

4. If it's not getting better move the stretch in further and focus on the corners.

5. Measure crown, if it's getting better repeat process.

6. This should give an idea where the problem lies.

7. If you have no luck in an hour lightly wheel the whole sheet and start the process over.

The object is to learn from every pass where the problem or problems are located and then what every pass does to effect the issues. It's a game of knowledge....if your failing then you lack some knowledge, try not to do more than you can reverse in any single attempt.

Hint: If you didn't learn from the last thing you did then your approach is flawed reconsider a new approach.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:03 AM

With the lowest crown wheel you've got, wheel the outer edge closest the oil can & work inwards, then back out, very gently. The edge that is closest to the oil can is tight/short & stopping the shape from being released.
I've done this with irregular shaped panels, just for fun, discs & squares are easier.

No matter how clever you think you are, stupidity is always one step ahead!!!!
Old 01-18-2018, 08:37 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTromblay View Post
Hi,

I was fortunate last Saturday to spend time with Joe Stafford of Panel Craft in New Hampshire. One piece I worked on was the classic apprentice panel of putting shape in, then taking the shape out of a 12"x12" 3003 aluminum panel with only the use of a English wheel. My time became limited due to the flight home, but I was able to finish the panel to Joes satisfaction.

Tonight after work in my shop, I did the same panel again. Put shape in, nice looking panel, took the shape back out. This time I developed a oil can. I find solving oil can issue one of the harder aspects of metal shaping. This skill builder is to solve the issue with the English wheel, no heat, shrinking disk, pullmax, eckold just the wheel. Due to lack of time tonight, I had to stop. My plan of attack is to find the tight area and stretch it. So the question, how do you find the area of issue?

Thank you

Bill
Bill
The area of issue are the edges and close to the edge
Try this.........
wheel (stretch ) all edges first ... till they are a bit wavy (not too wavy).... then..... wheel just before all of the edge BUT....make sure the the center of the lower anvil is about 10/20 mm away from the edges, that will draw the fullness out of the center of the panel, do this a few time if necessary and you will find that the oil can goes away
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM

Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 01-18-2018 at 08:41 AM.