All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-20-2018, 08:46 PM

Default Harbor Freight planishing hammer, hammer replacement

I purchased a HF planishing hammer on clearance last year. Just got around to setting it up. It ran for a couple minutes then I noticed that it sounded like it was "missing" (for lack of a better description), and then just quit and was hissing air. It will start, for a second or two, if I barely press the pedal, but just starts hissing again as the air is increased. Has anyone found a direct replacement hammer for this unit????
Old 03-21-2018, 01:58 AM

Sounds like a simple strike and oil?
Standard air chisel stuff?

"Everything is in the system, if it aint working, the system aint right"
Old 03-21-2018, 06:17 AM

Are you sure it is the hammer itself? Mine did something similar and it was because the tool was stuck inside the hammer and would not move, the end of the tool was soft and became mushroomed. I tried grinding the od of the tool and that lasted only a short time before it became mushroomed again. I wound up getting a new tool. While I was at it I installed a spare hammer that I had that fit the HF housing. I will check part numbers of the tool and hammer when I go out into the shop later today.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lennard View Post
Sounds like a simple strike and oil?
Standard air chisel stuff?
Used air tool oil. Even oiled again and let it sit overnight, samw....
Old 03-21-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdupree View Post
Are you sure it is the hammer itself? Mine did something similar and it was because the tool was stuck inside the hammer and would not move, the end of the tool was soft and became mushroomed. I tried grinding the od of the tool and that lasted only a short time before it became mushroomed again. I wound up getting a new tool. While I was at it I installed a spare hammer that I had that fit the HF housing. I will check part numbers of the tool and hammer when I go out into the shop later today.

Tool is free and no damage at all to the end...
Old 03-21-2018, 01:21 PM

I had one of those and the piston had corroded... Took it apart and wd40 and got it loose again.worked fine after that.

Sam
Old 03-28-2018, 04:53 PM

I will give you some part numbers to consider. If all you need is a bit, there are not too many that are the correct length.

For a flat face bit, look at K-Tool KTI-81981
For a convex face bit, look at the Yard Store in Wichita, their part number 10249.

When I had my bit mushroom, I wound up doing a complete replacement of both bit and hammer. You need a hammer with a nose that is 1.5 inches in diameter. I found an old J. C. Penney hammer that I had bought years ago that fit perfectly (yes, at one time Penney's sold not just tools, but pneumatic tools at their stores). The hammers typically exhaust around the barrel, and many of them use a sheet metal guard around the barrel od to guide the air away from the user. What I found is that most hammer I saw had a barrel od of 1 9/16 inch, but that might be only at the nose of the hammer, and the od of the barrel might neck down where the sheet metal guard is attached. I have a CP 715 hammer that has a 1 9/16 nose, but looks like it might be able to be ground down to fit into the HF frame. I have a CP 910 as well, but it looks like it would take too much work to fit it into the HF frame. I would be willing to bet that a standard HF air chisel would fit, you just need to hold the throttle wide open to allow it to be controlled by the foot pedal. Zip ties might work, but I used a small stainless hose clamp to tie the trigger wide open.

Hope this helps