All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-09-2017, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65
Default Question for Kent White for ordering Meco torch

Just to keep from cluttering up the other thread. I've decided to get a Meco. I went to your website but don't see the lightweight hoses???

So my question is this and I expect the answer will apply to most all of us here on AllMetalShaping.

What tips do you recommend for 18-20 ga steel?

What tips do you recommend for .050 to .063 aluminum 3003.

I expect anything outside these parameters is pretty much a corner case for most of us.

I have a gas saver with the eternal flame. Is the Piezo thing something that can replace the eternal flame or does it only come with a new gas saver?

What about adapters to go from standard hose connections to the small hoses?
Old 01-09-2017, 06:55 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
Just to keep from cluttering up the other thread. I've decided to get a Meco. I went to your website but don't see the lightweight hoses???

So my question is this and I expect the answer will apply to most all of us here on AllMetalShaping.

What tips do you recommend for 18-20 ga steel?

What tips do you recommend for .050 to .063 aluminum 3003.

I expect anything outside these parameters is pretty much a corner case for most of us.

I have a gas saver with the eternal flame. Is the Piezo thing something that can replace the eternal flame or does it only come with a new gas saver?

What about adapters to go from standard hose connections to the small hoses?
Hi Kerry,

Under "welding" on the TMTech site, see "Meco torch", and look for "hoses" under that -
http://www.tinmantech.com/products/w...ing-hoses/#ulw
These ULW hoses come packed with the male-A to female-B adapters so they go right on your B-sized Reg threads.
(And we have some EU adapters and some BSP adapters - wish i knew the OZ fitting sizes ...)

I use the N-1 tip for 18-20ga crs / 1mm-1.3mm thickness. But for doing tubing and cluster joints the L-1 or even L-2 is a big help for getting into the inside corners.

For the .05 and .063 aluminum / 1.3 -1.5mm thickness I use either the n-2 or the L-2 tip size, unless the joint is complicated and then I go up to a #3 tip - using O/A. I may go up one tip size for using O/H because of the reduced heat that fuel gas provides.

The Sparkie piezo thingy goes right above an existing gasaver - all you do is make a rectangle tube section of .040" metal in your flavor (I used brass) and park the gasaver inside that and screwed back down, with Sparkie mounted on top of the rectangle tube - I use my favorite duct tape to hold Sparkie down so's I can release it to get underneath for the rare AA battery change-out (x 2ea.).

]I'll post a moveable strangle-hanger build for hanging the Meco up around the shop....

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Thanks Kent, can you elaborate on the N vs the L tips. I have no idea why I would want one vs the other. Again, welding car body stuff in steel and alum.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks Kent, can you elaborate on the N vs the L tips. I have no idea why I would want one vs the other. Again, welding car body stuff in steel and alum.
From Kent's website:

We are offering these L series tips for their sharper cone shape. When you need a sharp flame, in sizes 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7 these tips are the answer. Blunt flame shapes are available with the N series. Brazing is one application that needs a sharp flame.
Note: The #1 for 20 ga steel and .040 aluminum. The #2 for 18 ga steel, and .050 aluminum, and so on. The #4 tip can make your hand HOT, so Kent either hangs on to the torch body with visegrips, or gets the Long Neck.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:53 AM
Administrator

I read that but don't know when or why I would want a sharp flame?
Old 01-10-2017, 01:15 AM

Quote:
I read that but don't know when or why I would want a sharp flame?
Supposedly, the pointy flame on the pistol torch makes it weld like a tig...???

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:55 AM

Kent,

How is the "harsh flame" issue with the tips? I have two Midgets (one purchased from you and one old unit) and three sets of TM tips - all exhibit a harsh flame as we discussed a couple years back. Peter has tried both of them and verifies that they don't have a nice flame at all. The torch and tips he purchased from you also behave the same. Yet, he tried two Mecos also purchased through you on the East coast which he says DO have a nice flame.

Now, my experiments have been with three different sets of regs, different hoses, with and without gassaver, using all known methods of setting the torch and the results are always the same.

So the question is why are some of the tips harsh and some not? Any idea?
Old 01-10-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc View Post
Kent,

How is the "harsh flame" issue with the tips? I have two Midgets (one purchased from you and one old unit) and three sets of TM tips - all exhibit a harsh flame as we discussed a couple years back. Peter has tried both of them and verifies that they don't have a nice flame at all. The torch and tips he purchased from you also behave the same. Yet, he tried two Mecos also purchased through you on the East coast which he says DO have a nice flame.

Now, my experiments have been with three different sets of regs, different hoses, with and without gassaver, using all known methods of setting the torch and the results are always the same.

So the question is why are some of the tips harsh and some not? Any idea?
Sure, I have a great idea:
The harsh flame is only due to one thing: tip design / manufacture.

I will bet that if a smooth flamed Meco tip is put onto a Meco that has a harsh flame then the flame will change, too.
(It always works for us, anyway.)

I have been saying this to customers for several years, without variation, when they complain about the harsh flame. (For those just tuning in to this "channel" on harsh torch flames- the "harsh" or raspy or loud hissy flame is due to turbulence in the gas flow characteristics of the final exit point of the flame - the tip orifice.)
Please note this photo, carefully:
P1030723 copy.jpg
These are Meco N tips which had harsh raspy ragged hissy flames.
They were opened up to see why.
The machining was done "quick and dirty" (read: cheap and fast). These were supplied by Victor, who made the Meco at that time.

Meco is no longer owned by "Meco Company" but by Victor/Thermadyne - and now, ESAB.

TM Tech (tinmantech.com) makes tips and necks for our Meco torches that we sell. Our quality control is what we see on visual inspection. If a particular tip has an internal burr or has been mis-machined in process and our inspections do not catch it/them, then they go out to the customer. We get batches of odd parts sometimes, and sometimes we just have to change shops because of ongoing quality issues.

We always replace bad parts, if/when they are returned to us.

Again - the harsh, raspy, ragged, hissy torch flame is due to the torch tip.
Conversely - a smooth flame is due to the torch tip.

If you have a complaint, please call us....?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Meco tips, inside story.jpg (39.6 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by crystallographic; 01-10-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:23 AM

Kent,

You mentioned EU adaptors for the Meco torch hose fittings. I live in Germany and would like to order them. Can you tell me the part numbers and let me know if the are currently available?

Thanks,

Mike