All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-18-2018, 09:09 PM

Default Tricks to symmetry on a motorcycle fender?

I'm trying to make some aluminum motorcycle fenders and am having trouble getting the curvature consistent along the entire fender length. My second issue is getting symmetrical curvature from left to right.

After getting the shape close I'll stick a piece of welding rod in the axle and swing it like the hand of a clock to scribe a trim line in the fender. This is the point where it's most obvious the symmetry is off. The scribed line will be concentric to the wheel from side view but from the top it waves in and out.

I'm using a 3" teardrop mallet and 18" shot bag along with a Woodward Fab english wheel. 16g 3003 aluminum, annealed.

My process has been to draw guide lines on the fender before shaping. I try to make the same amount of hammer blows in the same places on both sides and also wheel it in a symmetrical fashion but it still comes out asymmetrical or even twisted sometimes. I'm trying to be methodical about it but could use some tricks if anyone has them.

Mostly motorcycles.