All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-21-2014, 05:42 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

John I will be in Surrey (Canada ) for a class ,if time allows I will came and share some tips
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM
Old 09-22-2014, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Tinbasher View Post
Hi Guys: I gave the panel a try by stretching in from the edges more and it's working well. Thanks for you help. Peter I wish I lived closer to you to see your work and be able to work with some with your experience.
Amazing work guys:

John P.
Good on you John well done!
Peter

www.handbuilt.net.au

Old 09-24-2014, 06:19 AM

Default visiting John

Peter; John and I live about 10 minutes apart and have known each other for about 40 years. When you made the comment that you would be in Surrey teaching a class and if time permitted you might be able to stop by and give him some tips, I immediately told John I would be there, invited or not. You really do know how to raise the excitement level in two "older" shapers. The unfortunate part is, we live about as far away from Surrey as the east coast of Australia is from the west coast. We have come to the realization that you probably won't be showing up. Without winning a lottery, this is probably as close to meeting you as we will get. Good thought tho'. And thanks for even offering. Shows the quality of man that you are. We need more men like you and some others on this site who are willing to share what they know so this "art" will live on.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:07 AM

Default surrey meet

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry grigg View Post
Peter; John and I live about 10 minutes apart and have known each other for about 40 years. When you made the comment that you would be in Surrey teaching a class and if time permitted you might be able to stop by and give him some tips, I immediately told John I would be there, invited or not. You really do know how to raise the excitement level in two "older" shapers. The unfortunate part is, we live about as far away from Surrey as the east coast of Australia is from the west coast. We have come to the realization that you probably won't be showing up. Without winning a lottery, this is probably as close to meeting you as we will get. Good thought tho'. And thanks for even offering. Shows the quality of man that you are. We need more men like you and some others on this site who are willing to share what they know so this "art" will live on.
Barry, you will never know how much you will actually miss !
I met Peter a few months back when we decided to put on a meet. I didn't know Peter and his cigarettes were off to teach in the US, so unfortunately booked our meet for the weekend he was flying out
He is certainly gifted but totally humble. You cant stop off at his workshop for five minutes ! We chat for hours and the enthusiasm he has for the craft is unbelievable.
When you pick up a panel he has lying around, with-in minutes he is showing you how to make it. What I love is his methodical, logical approach. He has similar methods to David Gardiner, and they work beautifully
Peter is a great teacher. there is no B.S. He simply explains how and probably more importantly, why, he approaches his work in a certain way, and the results are stunning
If somehow you can drive, bus or fly to Surrey, do it. I promise you will not be disappointed
Cheers John
Old 09-24-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry grigg View Post

Barry I thought that it was only a few hours drive looking at my time schedule the won't be enough time maybe next Year, there might be a class closer to where you live . Thank you for your kind words
Peter

www.handbuilt.net.au

Old 09-24-2014, 08:50 AM

Hi John and Barry,

The next best thing to actually attending one of Peter's classes would be his DVD'S. Peter is very good at showing how and why he approaches various metal shaping projects. Hands down the most complete set of DVD instructions I have yet to see.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:49 PM

I agree that Peter's and David's DVDs are are fantastically useful - if you do nothing else buy them!
Old 09-24-2014, 07:24 PM

John and Barry
Peter is giving a seminar in Detroit in a few weeks. That would be a lot closer to you then Surrey BC. Contact Craig at Dagger tools for more info.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:08 PM

Default Grey Dort Panel

Hi Guys: Thanks for the info, it helped a lot as this is the largest panel I've fabricated. I learn't a lot on this one. Here's a couple of pictures as I've just welded the panels together and now I'm down to the details.

The Old Tinbasher

IMG397.jpg

IMG410.jpg

IMG396.jpg