All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-12-2017, 01:20 PM

Kudos to Ozi Jim - your alum bodied GT40 replica looks great and it sounds fantastic in the race track video. Watching you spin the car off the track had me a bit worried some alum "repairs" might be in your future…

For those interested the original 1960's aluminum bodied lightweight GT40's -

In 1965/66, Alan Mann Racing UK contracted with Ford USA to make a lightweight version of the production GT40 MKI. Mann theorized he could make the GT40 more competitive by using alum body panels instead of fiberglass (saving 100-150 lbs) and by revising the suspension characteristics.

Abbey Panels UK (manufacturer of original GT40 steel monocoque tubs) was contracted by Alan Mann to make five special GT40 tubs for the project. The tubs incorporated an aluminum (Elektron) "greenhouse" instead of steel. The tubs also had Len Bailey redesigned suspension pickup points to improve anti-dive/anti-squat characteristics.

Gomm Metal Shaping UK was contracted by Alan Mann to make the aluminum rear clip, front clip, front insert & doors for the project. The panels were made of Elektron (elevated magnesium content) and were very thin (0.025" thick to 0.035") and fragile. The panels were either wheeled or pressed and then connected by gas welding. Overlapping panels were either spot welded or buck riveted. Flanges & edges were finished by wiring and/or 90/180 returns.

Only two lightweight Alan Mann 289 MKI GT40's were completed and running at 1966 LeMans test days when Ford Corp told Alan Mann to abandon the lightweight MKI project and instead focus on the 427 powered MKII platform.

The two 1966 Alan Mann, 289 powered, alloy body MKI cars still exist today. The other three unfinished Abbey Panel bare monocoque tubs were modified/completed by Shelby American into 1966 427 MKII's.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:05 PM

Default WoW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I gave out an audible gasp when it headed towards the wall. Yes I agree, it doesn't need paint. What a sound! I can still hear/feel the first 427 cobra I came in contact with.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:24 PM

Great video and an epic looking (and sounding!) car. Thanks for posting.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:55 PM

No worries at all mate more power to you. Great work! Looking forward to seeing your other project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozi jim View Post
Bart sorry mate I didn't even see the PM s.
Been on a few times but just never looked up in the top corner.
Know where near the body stage yet ,I havnt touched it in a few months lots on.

Yes that's my car ,Nulon Oil did the video ,they did a great job of making me look good.

Running it at Phillip Island Historic race meeting in 2 weeks ,its a 3 day event.

John(oldnek) I never get bored of the 40 I'm just greedy so I want both.

Jim
Old 03-17-2017, 06:56 PM

Gasp is right

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobD View Post
I gave out an audible gasp when it headed towards the wall. Yes I agree, it doesn't need paint. What a sound! I can still hear/feel the first 427 cobra I came in contact with.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:59 PM

He worked his ass off at his dream and got it!
Got to respect that!
Watching the Nulon show again