All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Miscellanous products related to metalshaping
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-23-2014, 10:30 PM

Default Metalshaping used for Function/Mechanical- anyone doing it?

So I've been dinking around with an intake and had to use some shaping to make the runners, but very minimal really. Most intakes are basically simple tubes with the ends made to fit the port. Nothing really shapped, just re-arranged. It did get me wondering if any of you guys are making serious shaped runners,peices, whatever that serve a functional purpose? As in not just for asthetics/like most car bodies.

For example I'm sure some of you could build a turbo manifold that has beautiful sweeping tubes that also taper down smoothly and have almost no real transition points. Anyone doing this stuff

Also If OT or wrong place no prob,del or move

Into classic cars and speed, Went to Hot Rod Institute
Old 05-23-2014, 10:38 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2015

Haven't yet, but I will need to make the runners to add an inter cooler to the Deutz engine in my bus.

IMG_0813 (640x480).jpg

Last edited by bobadame; 05-23-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Jim, sent you a PM.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

I made a pretty complex radiator shroud for the roadster a few years back. It is an offset square to round with a weird relief for the upper radiator hose with a bunch of brackets and flanges. It also had to come apart in order to be removed.

A-007s.jpg

A-023s.jpg

A-011s.jpg

A 026.jpg

A 027.jpg
Old 05-24-2014, 12:42 PM

Hey John,

I do quite a bit of this for guiding air/water/fire flow, the shaping allows me to form the organic curves I need to get the best unobstructed flow through changing directions and volumes. I couldn't get the required performance using straight formed or fabricated sections. Unfortunately I can't show pictures at the moment because the products and processes are proprietary and confidential until we finish testing and patenting the units, but trust me, it can really enhance the performance and aesthetics of your project at the same time if that is what you are after and you test your designs and refine them for performance.

Cheers
Old 05-24-2014, 01:39 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Hi John,
I made an aluminum intake runner that connected a Holley 385cfm 4bbl to a Holset turbocharger one time. It had a twisting flow that carried through an 160deg angle into a 2.5"id aluminum pipe. It was a combination of patterns to make the "leaves", then cut, fit and tacked them together. Adjustments made, then welded, then adjusted again. It was a very smooth piece at the end and gave no indication that it was worked so much into the final shape after welding. The gasweld beads were left flat and untouched and I bead-blasted the whole thing so it was decent to look at. I did the same for the header collector, but it was steel and mated the 8 pipes into the turbo hot section.

It was the only gas turbo I ever heard that whistled like a big diesel truck when it went into its 14psi boost, but that diesel snail was rated at 120K rpm. (Made over 450hp for 75K miles, until I gave it to my son.)

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:31 PM
Member MetalShaper of the Month Nov 2013

Ron Fournier has an excellent chapter in one of his two metal shaping books (I don't remember which and the books are at my shop up in California) that covers his making an intake manifold for an experimental engine built by Ford. He made it from steel sheet metal on hammer forms.

When I die heaven can wait, I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

My sculpture web page http://www.fantaciworks.com
Old 05-24-2014, 08:07 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Also worth mentioning is maybe the old Myron Stevens footage of him making up the steel sheet straight-eight exhaust header set for the Miller 91 - out of what, one sheet of tin? I heard about the Miller guys doing that using a welded machined mandrel, but by hand is a load of thumping. Better to have flow forming in the tool box for that job.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.