All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Buck Building
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-30-2009, 02:59 PM

Default Making a fender buck

Hi all thought i would post a thread on how i made a simple fender buck .

I made it out of 1/4" ply as i had a bit lying around that was big enough for the job. First pic is the simple radius arm that i made for my router.

As can be seen i have marked my cut line on the ply i used a 1/4" cutter and the rad arm has a 1/4" screw in it to act as the pivot.

Set and ready to go made the cut in two passes

the above pic shows the first pass

The first peice cut , you can just see my layout marks for the stations.These were cut with the router also ,by clamping a guide strip down on top of the main part and running along it.

Getting ready to cut another slot.

The main part and a station
below is the first station cut with a jig saw and filed/sanded to shape

I cut 4 more by clamping a blank piece roughed out with the jig saw and then used a copy cutter in the router to clean it up to match the first ,sorry no pic's of that forgot to take some as i was going.

screwed some blocks to the main piece to screw the stations to

the station's screwed in to place

another view.

So just got to make the fender , well the first couple of attempt's have gone in the scrap bin . next attempt will take a different approach
but is going to have to wait for a couple of week's as this is a freebee for a friend and a paying job has got in the way . Will start a thread on making the fender soon as i get going on it , the first attempt's kicked my butt big time , think i might need a bit of help with it .

Cheers for now
Old 09-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Hi Chris..Nice write up on the buck.

Awhile back I was trying to make a small fender.It took me three times before I finally got it.

I ended up making it in two pieces and using a hammer form.After the three attempts, the hammer form is what worked for me.It took some beating but it was not that bad.

20080907_1.JPG

20080907_12.JPG

20080907_2.JPG

This forum is dedicated to Metal Shaping.
Please stay on topic.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:23 PM

Thanks Johnny ,
Should have put some dim's on the buck , major rad is about 14" , 6" striaght across the bottom and about 2 1/2" deep as far as i can tell minor has a fairly flat section about 4" wide down the center then tighten's up at the side's . Think i'm going to have ago at making it in 3 pieces .
Old 01-24-2010, 02:58 AM

I am about to build a fender and what a surprise when i found this thread. I know it is an old thread but maybe if i bump it i might get some ideas.

I am hoping that Chris Bspoke gets his fender done and posts pics. I am also wondering what jhnarial's hammer form looks like and how did you make it?
Old 01-24-2010, 03:07 AM
Administrator

It's just two pieces of plywood.

I took off the wheel and it had the tire on it. Added a spacer between the marker and the tire for clearance, then traced it on the plywood.

Then placed a blank two inches bigger between the two pieces of plywood and then clampted it up.Then I just hammered it over.It will cause folds in the metal but they will eventually hammer out.

If you look at my fender it has a sharp beginning before the radius. If you want a smoother transition there router the inside of the plywood.

It's 2:00 am hope this makes sense.

This forum is dedicated to Metal Shaping.
Please stay on topic.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:49 PM

Hi Cheemo ,

Don't know if i will be making the fender as the friend it was going to be for lost his job couple of weeks after i made the buck , so the project went on the back burner , he still has the bike but isn't doing anything to it at the moment , the new fender was going with a new front end he was going to get.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:42 PM

nice job on the buck Chris. that's what I need to do next. used my tire and templates to get my shape close, now it's time to drag out the plywood and play woodbutcher