All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-01-2017, 01:11 PM

Default Motorcycle gas tank - just for fun

Recently I spotted this gas tank sitting in a trash pile - for obvious reasons. But it had kind of an interesting shape, and the guy told me to take it if I wanted it.

IMG_5519.jpg

IMG_5520.jpg

It was obviously home made with angle iron internals and huge globs of weld on some of the seams.

Ken Lewis is a friend of mine, and came over on Friday to help set up for Wine Country Meet. Spotting the tank, he asked me what my plans were for it.

Ken is the guy that trains the insurance adjusters, and was formerly the painter in a body shop. However, he's never done any metal shaping. I suggested he take this on.

Ken cut the tank apart with a plasma (it had no bottom, so I knew it wouldn't go boom), knocked off the dross and big welds with a grinder. Then I had him put it in the blast cabinet to remove the paint, bondo and rust (didn't want to damage my dies). Then, he had to reduce the walnuts enough to get it into the Tinmantech Air Power Hammer (APH). For this he used my homemade acetylene cap hammer on a sand bag.

Ken then used a selection of dies, including the wobble die set, with the #2 motor to finish removing the dents and smooth up the shape.

IMG_5521.jpg

IMG_5522.jpg

Ken was very happy with the results. Total time - about an hour - including having to track me down to ask what was next. He very much enjoyed his first metal shaping experience.

Admittedly, he wasn't trying to make two matching halves or fit any sort of form. If he had been, he'd need to remedy high and low spots. But this project as only about having fun, and making some scrap. Success!

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:41 PM

I looked at this at the Metalmeet. The before and after halves were pretty cool. I can see this on a yard art motorcycle with one side before and one side after.

Andy