All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Beginner Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-07-2018, 07:10 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaroslav View Post
Beautiful work, but a little scary. I recently crossed sometthing disease and I was close to ... ... your business.
I recently drove around Stuttgart - Germany. At the road to the right in the house and on it a Psychologist sign. Under the road to the left, the sale of monuments to graves. Great place for a psychologist's place ..... I believe he gives people nice lessons. Something like: if you did not understand me, make a visit place under the road .......

Black humor, why not ....

To your work about sheet metall. I think you're using a very demanding way. That was my comment.
Your results are very good. Thanks for sharing.
That makes perfect sense to me- between my culinary & sculpture apprenticeships, I graduated from college with a B.S. Degree In Psychology. No kidding. Thanks for the compliments, Jaroslav.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:35 PM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

Yes psychology. Sinking into other spheres and the depths of the mind. Creative work being done. Maybe we're crazy, but we like it and we want it.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:28 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Nice project and thank you for showing how you went about it.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:02 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Corking good process, Cliff.
If those production numbers were low, then some shop guys likely bunged them out in some fashion, as you have done so well with your recipe.
Good cookin'!

Another random photo for you...
motor001.jpg

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
Corking good process, Cliff.
If those production numbers were low, then some shop guys likely bunged them out in some fashion, as you have done so well with your recipe.
Good cookin'!

Another random photo for you...
Attachment 48702
Thanks for the pic, Kent.

I wondered about original production process. I think I have record of at least 5 or 6 different profile patterns, which would seem impractical to tool for such low production. But the few original ones I have personally owned and/or handled (most decades ago) all had numerous identical long, perfectly straight vertical scratches on outside of the bottom half like they had been pressed in one motion. Some consistent ruffling is also often present, usually on the versions that have a bottom with an angled instead of vertical circular perimeter wall. Been thinking about how to replicate both of those details, but not a priority right now.

Measuring up materials, I have enough metal to make another lid and bottom that can be as nice as the top half. both were experiments and easily could be done better now, especially with better corking tools for some of the finishing.

I do have a welding question- Gas Welding splits in this 24g using trimmed strips for filler isn't working well. Even when I produce a decent looking weld/puddle/tack on the top, the backside is no good. Looks like the typical slag caused when the puddle effervesses a lot even though it hasn't obviously boiled on the topside. Is this likely an issue caused by using the parent crs as filler, contamination or something else? Any sound bead produced is much harder & more brittle than the parent metal and has some straw or copper-colored splotches when I grind them.

Seems like problems caused by too much heat, but I've not been able to reduce heat & still produce a weld.

The parent metal has had a lot of hammering and is so thin that I didn't sand it hard before welding. I expect that's part of the problem, too. This part was thoroughly abused even before I started welding. now it's becoming impractical to use or save but is providing good instruction opportunity.

Any input?
Old 09-09-2018, 01:14 AM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

There is a lot of hammer in it ....... try to use flame welding to use the thin strips of sheet metal from which you were made as an additional material or a soft binding wire. No !! original welding material. We have soft welds and no trouble. Malư plamen !!!! Oblique direction.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:14 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Very nice work my friend. Impressive thinking, and of course talented hands. Thanks for sharing with us your process.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:15 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffrod View Post

I do have a welding question- Gas Welding splits in this 24g using trimmed strips for filler isn't working well. Even when I produce a decent looking weld/puddle/tack on the top, the backside is no good.

Any input?

Yep Cliff,

funny thing about filler rod developed specifically for butt welding - it has some metallurgical science behind it. Although, if you watch "World's Fastest Indian" you can see that spending enough years on a problem will succeed, eventually.
My life has been too short to develop much, so I just buy the ER70S6 for $paltry$, and happily finish the job. If the rod is too thick I just hammer it down thin and snip halfways.
I did this just fine recently on .020in steel sheet for a Blue Bird bicycle fender.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:25 PM

Thanks, Kent. I'll fill my tanks and try again.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:19 AM

Default Awesome post!

Love the build. I’ve always liked those NASCAR style additions to street cars. I love the big Fords. I had a ‘67 Fairlane when it seemed everyone was driving Mustangs. Looking for a Torino at the moment. What else do you plan to do with the Galaxie?
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13