All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Shop Safety
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-11-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Myres View Post
For small paper, wood and cloth fires, a 5 litre garden spray bottle is extremely handy and set to a fog-type spray, will take the heat away very quickly. I have one in the workshop all the time.

They can also be used in forest-fire-prone areas, to be used by the householder to extinguish embers in a roof space after the fire has passed. I have read of people saving their 4WD when dry fuel has started burning on the exhaust pipe, with one of these.

It is a cheap, reliable and easy to test item.

Glad to know you are OK Berndt,

Cheers Charlie
Very goodo idea. Will get this asap. But also, no use if you can't find the source!
Old 09-11-2017, 11:03 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

Berntd, I can relate to that burst of adrenaline you experienced. I did 6 years in the Navy and fought a couple engine room fires. On a ship, you have only two options. Find it fast and extinguish it or die trying. I am always paranoid about fire. After reading your post, I went out to the shop and looked around. I need to put some stuff away first thing tomorrow.
You asked if anyone else has had problems like this. Check out In33anity's thread. Ira lost everything! Including a really cool almost finished hot rod. http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showt...ight=in33anity

Also, Marcus (GoJeep) had a close call recently. It happens. It shouldn't but unfortunately it does.
Thank you for posting this. I am going to tighten up my shop tomorrow and hopefully everyone that reads this will do the same.
I'm at a stage right now where I'm welding, cutting, and grinding almost constantly. Due to the weather around here I have to spray epoxy primer on finished panels in between. I have very volatile thinners and cleaners around.Now that I'm thinking about it, the gas tank is still in this car and the filler tube is gone. I have no idea what is in that tank if anything. Yup, I need to make the time tomorrow.

Check out this fireproof coating https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvpKY_Z_usI

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.

Last edited by Jack 1957; 09-11-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:33 PM

Hey, I also worked on ships in my youth bbut not Navy. Commercial fishing.
We had a Halo extinguisher in the engine room but it kills everything in the room so they constantly warned me to get out immediately if I see the warning light!

But our problems were mostly just rust corrosion and damage to electrics and water ingress :-)
Old 09-14-2017, 06:42 AM

I'm glad you and the shop are okay. A fire inside my shop is something i'm very paranoid about. Especially since my "shop" is a two car garage attached to the house. I could literally lose everything. I try to do all my angle grinder work (cutting and grinding), and mig welding outside. It's not always doable cause of the weather or maybe the object just cant be moved outside. In that case i try to put up fiberglass welding blankets to form some kind of shield to contain the sparks. Its something that always makes me nervous so i try to be as careful as possible. But because of your post i will be buying two large fire extinguishers for the shop. Right now i only have one medium sized one, which most likely wouldn't cut it.

Thanks for sharing,

-Chris
Old 09-14-2017, 03:10 PM

Default Work shop fire

Hi guys,
First up ,glad to hear that you and your shop did not get harmed! As with a lot of of us I do wood work as well as metal work and although I try to keep everything clean it is easy to miss fine saw dust . My story is much the same as Bernt's welding with mig and a slag ball rolled about 2 metres to under the wood bandsaw where it smouldered for some time .I saw the smoke and got my extinguisher out and directed at dust ,not the best decision, the extiusher blew open the pile and exposed the dust to more air . The flash was frightening. Luckily I had a garden hose nearby and was able to douse the whole area. Also when welding do not roll your jeans or overalls to have cuffs these can gather slag and catch fire. Please be safe everyone!

Cheers drib (Dave)
Old 09-14-2017, 04:57 PM

Hey all

Whew, Friday and the fire is now another one of "those" memories...

I almost have the smell out of the shop. I had to rub the walls doen with soap and water and then also with vinegar. I also had to leave a tin and rag (yes rag again1) soaked in vinegar in there all week. I think I am winning.

I have covered almost everything in fire-blankets.

An I am lookign at
1) purchasing a 3.5kg CO2 extinguisher ( I wanted 5kg but when I lifted them up, I found them too heavy to lift up towards roof beams etc)
2) Install a tap right outside the shop and get a hose that permanently sits right there. No more relying on the rainwater tank and pump!

Oh, and there are no more rags to be found anywhere in the shop now. ALthougt, that probably won't last.

Cheers
Bernt