All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Shop Safety
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-15-2010, 08:35 PM
Meet Hosts

Default Livable work temp

I live in Michigan so I have to heat in the winter and cool in the summer. I have my heat kick on at 8 AM (in the shop at 9). At 65 degrees I can get a lot done if I keep moving. I have a harder time working in the summer when it's 90 outside ( AC set on 80 ). Maybe I should not park my open roadster out front, too tempting! Seriously the cool is easier to take than the heat, but thats just me.

Andy ( Guesswork)
Old 12-15-2010, 09:10 PM

Kerry, gonna get to -4 below tonight and a high of maybe 14above tomorrow. A lot of times it is -20 below this time of year for a high. Time to put another log on the fire. Steve

never-ever kick a fresh turd on a hot day!
Old 12-15-2010, 09:15 PM

Forget to say I live in Grand Rapids. Thats in Northern Minnesota about 110 miles south of Canada. Steve

never-ever kick a fresh turd on a hot day!
Old 12-15-2010, 11:39 PM

Sometimes I have used a large heat bulb pointed at my work when its cold. I still burn wood (I think its the best bang for the buck) but it takes a couple of hours to bring the shop up into the 60's F, The last couple of weeks its been very cold, I have had to start a fire and use electric space heater, and it still feels cool to cold. The three 8 foot uninsulated garage doors may be the problem. R11 in the walls and ceiling. I am just not aclimatized to below 30 F. The worse of it is it use to never bother me until 4 to 5 yrs ago. Kerry, it is not just you.

Last edited by JPMOSS; 12-17-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:28 AM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Kerry, A week or so ago it was one or two degree below freezing here,(everything ground to a halt.) its now about one or two above. I wear lots of clothes! lots of light layers and a thermal layer, a couple of sweatshirts and a jacket, hat and fingerless gloves. I have no insulation, the building is not mine so I am not likely to have any. I worked for years without any heat because I could not afford to run any. These days I use a small propane heater for each of us and point them in the general direction of where we are working. The worst of the cold weather lasts for about four months but we are lucky to get a couple of months of nice weather. I want to move to California! you guys don't know how lucky you are!.

David

All things are possible.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:52 AM
Administrator

I find that it is much cheaper to keep my shop at a reasonable temp so that the concrete doesnt cool down and then have to heat back up.With all the bare sheet metal around,the sweating that goes on with all the heat cycles is also an issue.But having a shop at my home site cuts down on overhead even though I spend as much as 1000.00 a month on fuel costs.But hey im livin the dream arent I?Dan
Old 12-16-2010, 08:04 AM

Aww Guys! It makes me cold just looking at the photos. You are welcome to come down here to sunny S.A. Here is a pic taken of me yesterday having a cool one.
As for being too cold? Yes it does get cold here and yes my work area is just to the left of me in the photo. IT'S MY BACK PORCH! No provision for heating so I just bundle up, run out and do something and run back into the house. Repeat process.........
Peace,
Chaz

Nice Day Dec 15 2010.jpg

SAVE THE EARTH: It's the only planet with chocolate!

Last edited by Chaz; 12-16-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:44 AM

its gonna be a freezing 72 degrees today... it was 60 when i woke up .. lol
Old 12-16-2010, 08:52 PM

Kerry, I'm in the insulated and heated group. Plenty of insulation and infared tube heat. Usually around 50 and then kick it up a little when I'm working.

I find that the older I get the more warmth I need. Thin cotton coveralls, over jeans long sleeve shirt and another layer if needed and maybe a sweat shirt till things get warmed up. If it's below 0 the heat goes down and I find some where warm to hide. The deep south looks better all the time.

Jim
Old 12-16-2010, 11:28 PM

DSCN1233_437.JPG
My walls are well insulated but haven't finished the loft yet. it was 21 outside today after1 hour it was 50 on the farthest wall and 60 in my work area. the 30 gal can on top has a peice of 16 ga. welded down the middle so the heat doesn't go straight up. me with 5 metal pins, if it ain't warm I ain't there.(IR thermometer read's over 500 degrees at the can)