All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-20-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redoxide View Post
its a funny thing that computer programmers earn so much money, then when they want work dont on there classics etc they think that the skills possessd by another trade are worth less than they are..

I gave up doing any work for folk as they seem to think that bashing metal is for monkeys and hence they should pay peanuts .. peculiar situation since most of these folk couldn't put a nut in a monkeys mouth .. I would rather see them struggle with tere project than help these days. Its simply more lucrative to work on your own stuff rather than get involved wit the junk folk bring and expect to be resurrected for buttons .. It gets really easy to say "no" now.. and there is a certain degree of satisfaction in doing so.. The reluctance of folk who want there crap restored to pay a fair rate is the reason its so hard to find good skilled people .. employers just dont want to pay a fair rate .. Its a sad day when a fitter can earn more than a skilled craftsman .. which is why so many skilled craftsmen become fitters..
Ian, I never said that the skills possessed by another trade are worth less. I believe it was a valid question so I could make an informed decision if the price I was being given was realistic. Just as with anything, a person is worth what someone is willing to pay.

hope you have a better day.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
I have been following this thread in curiosity as I have worked in both the collision and hot rod/ resto industry. Now being an educator, salary expectations comes up regularly in meetings and discussions with students.
The salary info our state gives us is so far off I will not use it as an example for my students. High 30s to low 40s is not a very enticing number nor is it accurate for the shops I have worked at.
As others have stated, collision work is not resto/hot rod work. The easier money is in collision work.
So to answer the original question of what an employee may be worth is difficult. A commission based collision guy is worth as much as he/she can produce. A resto/street rod guy is worth the skills he can deliver and how the shop owner can sell those skills.

This is just a long way to say that I really do not know.
Anthony , thanks for following along. I found it interesting that collision work pays more then custom rod work. I believe that a shop, be it writing code or working on cars, succeed based on the team working on the project. the better the team works together the more money everyone makes.
thanks for following along
Old 02-20-2018, 08:24 PM

Default Im an ELECTRONICS TECH IN

NJ.I make 32.00 per hour!
Old 02-20-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooverwatch View Post
Anthony , thanks for following along. I found it interesting that collision work pays more then custom rod work. I believe that a shop, be it writing code or working on cars, succeed based on the team working on the project. the better the team works together the more money everyone makes.
thanks for following along
Team work
A term management uses but seldom practices themselves.
The difference with collision is the commission based pay
When I was doing collision work my per hour was not a lot to brag about.
We generally double our time or turn at least 80 hours in a 40 hour week. This will get you into the 36-45 per hour range (depends on the flat rate time) Sometimes we would blow that number up. My best collision day I turned 60 hours in one day. (A long getter done 16 hour day)
Its hard to convert that worth into custom/resto numbers.

Last edited by AWM; 02-21-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:30 AM

Default Hourly Wage

A standard rule of thumb is 40% of the door rate. In Canada because we pay into health care 36% of the door rate.

That's for a seasoned repairer that can come and do the job with out to much guidance.

Hope this helps.