All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Tutorials
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 06-21-2014, 07:20 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabous View Post
Dont want to make heavy weather out of this issue but I want to understand the method used.

I have downloaded the video because in the next couple of months I am going to start on the body panels of a Cobra and fit them on the buck I already made, thus the interest.

Towards the end of the video there is 4 pics of which the first shows how the skew panel is bend straight. The next pic looks like the panel is being held down on the Cobra by their fingertips. The third shows marks of diagonal wheeling on the panel which seems to take care of the slight rise in the middle because the panel lies quite flat on the body.

So is that how you flatten out too high a crown, by diagonally wheeling it?
Hi Cobus,
The diagonal wheeling
was done after the panel was 99.9% finished. It was done as a "wash over" pass to relieve any tension still in the panel. The twist that Mark and Dan gave the panel helped set the "form/arrangement" just a slight bit.

If you have too much crown, the procedure is to wheel outside the overly crowned area and stretch panel. This procedure is all learned by practicing the basics of English wheeling by doing something called the "shape in-shape out" exercise. It is described in my English wheeling book, but also elsewhere.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:24 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Quote:
Dont want to make heavy weather out of this issue but I want to understand the method used.

I have downloaded the video because in the next couple of months I am going to start on the body panels of a Cobra and fit them on the buck I already made, thus the interest.

Towards the end of the video there is 4 pics of which the first shows how the skew panel is bend straight. The next pic looks like the panel is being held down on the Cobra by their fingertips. The third shows marks of diagonal wheeling on the panel which seems to take care of the slight rise in the middle because the panel lies quite flat on the body.

So is that how you flatten out too high a crown, by diagonally wheeling it?

I do not like to make too many comments on other fellow metalshapers methods to shape panels, after all some methods work and some do not. I personally would not attempt to wheel a panel with that much shape that way.
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM

Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 06-22-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:51 AM

Ok, thanks for the info, it makes sense. Dont think I will have the confidence to use try it though. The marks left by the hard wheeling seems to introduce more work when it comes to painting it.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:25 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Quote:
Ok, thanks for the info, it makes sense. Dont think I will have the confidence to use try it though. The marks left by the hard wheeling seems to introduce more work when it comes to painting it.

Kabous
Try a smaller panel with a bit less shape and work your way up to a bigger and bigger panel get use to the wheel and it's limits, confortable with all necessary lower anvil pressure, and with a bit of time you will feel confident . Do not give up, you will get there!
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM
Old 06-23-2014, 12:41 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2012, Jan 2013, Oct 2013

Hi guys!
A great way to learn the basics how the wheeling machine works is to cut a 400 mm round piece of sheet ( steel for the first try) and try to shape a bowl with a deep of around 50 mm , the goal here is to get a perfect flow and to get it lay down all around.

No sandbags, no hammers, just the wheeling machine should be used, yes it takes time and that is a reason for that....., guess why?

To avoid the "nipple" in the middle you need to conect your brain how to avoid that!

When it is perfect in flow and lays fine at your bench it is time to get it back to flat...

This is the absolutly cheapest and most giving way to understand whats going on when you do this and do that with the sheet.

Remember that everyone can make a bowl but the guys and girls that can go back to a flat piece is the gang that connect their brains to their hands...

Tricky , yes it is for most beginners and what you learn from this can be used at every panel you ever will work with!

So to do this is a good way to training how to wheeling, you really need to think what you do with every stroke thru the wheel, and thats the fine thing with this training piece.

If you get it done ok you can try to do the same with a sqare piece ( mini door skin) and again you need to think whats going on...

Next could be a piece of alu becouse now you really need to be sensitive with the pressure to avoid this ugly lines and stop/start marks...

When this is mastered you dont need to be afraid of getting to much shape in a panel (in a controlble amount) becouse you know how to back out of the corner!

Finally you need to remember that it will take a while to learn how to make fine panels, many of the gents on this forum have done this for most part of their lifes and I can bet that everyone of them have been very lost in the beginning!

This dont add much about the discussion around the video but the hood could be one of this test pieces I wrote about here and they do pretty much the same thing with it.

Anyway, im pretty glad that anyone take their time to shot and upload a video, but it would be very hard to make a how to video for the actual panel in just minutes!

Bill, keep up your energy and let the info flow

https://www.facebook.com/metalman.sweden
Old 06-23-2014, 12:48 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman sweden View Post

Anyway, im pretty glad that anyone take their time to shot and upload a video, but it would be very hard to make a how to video for the actual panel in just minutes!

Bill, keep up your energy and let the info flow
Thanks Per. As I said, the panel took just under an hour to make, but the video is only 20 minutes... so we're obviously missing some of the action and the instruction Mark gave his student. I did my best, but couldn't film everything.

If you don't find the YouTube clips helpful enough, sign up for one of Mark's classes and see first hand the whole process.

If you're just starting out, the best thing is to what I recommend in my book several times..."wheel more and worry less."
Old 06-24-2014, 06:07 AM

Since having metal shaping a new part of my life, I have watched numerous ytube vids, and to see different shapers use different techniques for a particular way, is pretty amazing for the similar outcome, just some do it quicker, there doesn't appear to be a set rule for any method, so long as it works.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:48 PM

i saw this video couple of days ago he explains the frame bit and uses an elastic band instead of the bending see if this helps
http://youtu.be/hePmCEjDSu4
Old 07-26-2020, 06:48 AM

Default Pumping method.

Hi Gents, Newbie here so be gentle, I too have seen this video and found it frustrating, intriguing, but has also made me think about why it should work.

Here are my conclusions;

Old 07-26-2020, 07:12 AM

Instead of the number one Anvil you might have to use a number three which could potentially put lines in your panel.

I would be doing it the traditional way with the No.1 Anvil.