All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Shop Safety
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-31-2011, 07:27 PM

It's been too hot to do anything here.........39 degrees C yesterday.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:51 PM

When I was working my shop in the winter I would work harder the colder it got, mostly due to lack of heaters. I remember one year, it was 5 below and with an un insulated quansut hut full of metal w no sun it was like-30. I just put on one more pair of insulated coverall and tried to do as much torch work as possible. Problem is you can't use the cold saw, iron worker or pretty much anything that used coolant, that year my water cooler had insulation around it and 100% antifreeze. It was chilly to say the least. But im one hard headed s.o.b. and NEVER afraid of work. But I finally stepped up and bought heated six,gloves one year . Life of the poor artist!
Old 02-03-2015, 03:09 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2015

This is a old thread, but I have had, this solution on this winter.My shop is about twenty minutes drive, from my home. I bought a power socket, that is fully programmable, and it is controlled by sending SMS message or calling it´s number , with mobile phone. Otherwords, you install a SIM card on it, prepaid connection is easiest and cheapest.The power socket can handle 3000w and 16 amp fuse. So when I know I am going to go to my shop, I send the SMS message , by couple of hours before, I go there,so heater goes on.When I get there, the base temperature has rised so, that I can work. Not perfect, but has worked for me, this winter. It has a temperature sensor, so it tells the temperature, when it send you back a sms message,(so you know it is on) or you can program it, to shut off itself, when the given temperature is reached. The power socket was not totally cheap, about 80 euros..It has many functions, that I dont use, like timer´s and five different users can use the one and same power socket. The brand was TUTA .And it is connected to my 3000w electric fan heater...forgot to mention that

TUTA_S30-1.jpg

--------- JJ ----------

Last edited by Janne; 02-03-2015 at 03:39 PM. Reason: mention about heater
Old 02-03-2015, 05:12 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Unless I’ve got a good $$$ job in the shop I only heat 3/8 of my shop, the machines in the back 5/8 are cold and it’s miserable working them. My blast cabinet works like poop in the cold. Sometimes the concrete is so cold I stand on scrap wood. Only 6 more weeks……. thank God . The heated part I keep between 50 and 60 degrees to answer your question. ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 02-03-2015, 09:50 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

I'll work down to 40F (4.4C) routinely. At 32F (0 C) the sheet metal is noticeably harder to hit into place, according to my careful side-by-side tests. (For a while I thought it had been my rough weekend, when I came into a 32F (0 C) shop on Monday mornings, and the metal was being obstinate - until about 2PM ... ).
At 10F (-12C), welding the 4130 leaves stress cracks, so having some heat on the part is strongly advised.
At 10F (-12C)the HAZ on gas welded aluminum is very narrow! 6061 will exhibit this.
At 0F (-17.7C) and below, welding "thin" (less than .090" or 2.3mm) 6061 will exhibit an auto-quench.
At -40F (-40C) precipitation hardening of aluminum alloys stops - is suspended until temps go up. See "icebox" rivets in a google search.

A Different perspective:
From Oymyakon, Russia - (one of my favorite spots to quote):
At -60F (-51C) tires start to fail, clutches break.
At -68F (-55.5C) heavy truck frames break.
At -70F (-56.6C) human activity pretty much halts, outdoors.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.

Last edited by crystallographic; 02-03-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:33 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2015

Cool facts, Kent

Speaking of , heating the shop.I have always dreamed of having a big/large shop (okay, I still do ). But when reading these post with thought, just opens my eyes, to the fact, that it also takes a lot more money, to make it warm place to work, something that does not come right away to my mind.Especially if one could get access to a big place, the free space can overrun the thinking , how much the heating costs, especially for me

And since living in here, winter is always cold..

--------- JJ ----------
Old 02-04-2015, 03:17 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post

A Different perspective:
From Oymyakon, Russia - (one of my favorite spots to quote):
At -60F (-51C) tires start to fail, clutches break.
At -68F (-55.5C) heavy truck frames break.
At -70F (-56.6C) human activity pretty much halts, outdoors.

The Russians seem to know how to build machinery to handle the extreme cold better than just about anyone. Arguably their extreme winters was probably one of their biggest assets in beating back the Germans in WW2, possibly even more so than their T34 tanks and their IL2 sturmovik flying tank busters. ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 02-04-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Buchtenkirch View Post
The Russians seem to know how to build machinery to handle the extreme cold better than just about anyone. Arguably their extreme winters was probably one of their biggest assets in beating back the Germans in WW2, possibly even more so than their T34 tanks and their IL2 sturmovik flying tank busters. ~ John Buchtenkirch
Yes, I agree. Their metallurgy is very impressive, which US engineers definitely admit privately. I love the idea that they gas weld Ti (Yakovlev aircraft exhausts are clear evidence.).

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:48 PM

Kent
I thought Ti burned bright white at least shavings do , so they were welding just below ignition temps?
Old 02-04-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hosford View Post
Kent
I thought Ti burned bright white at least shavings do , so they were welding just below ignition temps?
Hi Ken,
I think the flux keeps it safely below ignition, and just into melting.
(... don't know anything about their flux chemistry on this one ...)