All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-01-2018, 11:47 AM

Default International Shipping of a Pullmax

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine has a Pullmax P13 he's going to sell me for a really great price. However, he's located in Mexico, and I'm in the US. So, I was wondering if anyone has taken on international shipping of a used machine tool that weighs 1300lbs and needs to be shipped via truck.

Any thoughts? There will be Customs/duties, which should be minimal. Are there any other concerns I should have? I don't want a good price on the machine to turn into a bottomless pit of fees and tariffs.

Thanks!
Peetrock
Old 05-01-2018, 12:03 PM

Get professional advice-
https://www.logisticsplus.net/shippi...een-us-mexico/
Old 05-01-2018, 12:30 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Professional advice and services are the only way to go. Personally, I would prefer to use a professional shipper who already services the exact route/area/region or concern.

Clear, honest descriptions with packing & crating as required. Don't fudge any of the details and that will help it clear customs without undue scrutiny or seizure. Make any valuation claims accurate even if you get a great deal. You may pay a little more in duties, but that sure beats them seizing the shipment and holding it until ?? because you're trying to save a few bucks by misrepresenting the item, taxable value or both.

I've exported numerous bikes and parts to countries outside of North America with no issues. Not sure how NAFTA impacts dealing with Mexico like this but would think it would help make it easier. International money transfers are lots easier now than decades ago.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:36 PM

Thanks. This is solid info. Trying to decipher the duty fee documents is daunting. Contacting a professional company totally makes sense. My other option is to drive to Texas and meet up with my friend and the machine, but that's a pretty massive gas bill for both of us.

Hopefully I'll be able to work something out.

Pics if I get it!
Old 01-20-2019, 06:44 PM

Pete,

This response is a bit dated. However, the answer to your question is that the duty rate is established by the country of origin in addition to the Merchandise Processing Fee (MPF).

As I recall the duty rate for this machine is at about 4% of the value of machine manufactured in Sweden.

The MPF, Effective October 1, 2011, applies to formal entries. It is an ad valorem fee of 0.3464 percent. The fee is based on the value of the merchandise being imported, not including duty, freight, and insurance charges. The maximum amount of the fee shall not exceed $485 and shall not be less than $25.

Add to that the cost of a customs broker (need shop around the fees can vary from $50 to $300 per entry) and the drayage to get it across the border. Depending who you use, this may very well be built into the the transport cost.

Hope this helps.

frank.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:34 PM

Better do it soon. It would be a bitch to lift that thing over the Wall!