All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-26-2018, 12:22 PM

Default Which is right?

Just getting a little frustrated. I'm looking ahead as to how to recreate the lower valance on this Pinan-Farina bodied car, one I been working on for a while and while I've looked at this a million times I never realized how out of whack it really is.
I just held the form follower to the right side to get the shape and the 2nd pic it's held to the left side and there is nearly an inch of difference between the 2 sides - the entire opening is less than 48" and it has an inch of difference from side to side! How could they be that far off?
DSC00615.jpg
DSC00617.jpg

What to do, copy it asymetrical or make it symetrical, if so, which pattern the left or the right?
Old 04-26-2018, 02:35 PM

You’ve got to determine from the centre datium line where the error starts, a trammel gauge can help, start from a non damaged area of the chassis and check symmetry then move forward.

No matter how clever you think you are, stupidity is always one step ahead!!!!
Old 04-26-2018, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

The (your) problem OJ is that the car may not have been symmetrical. If you fix that, then nothing else may line up with it. I'd suggest checking other panels to see if they are symmetrical. If they are undamaged and not symmetrical, you pretty much have to either rebuild the car or fix that panel to flow with what was there.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
The (your) problem OJ is that the car may not have been symmetrical. If you fix that, then nothing else may line up with it. I'd suggest checking other panels to see if they are symmetrical. If they are undamaged and not symmetrical, you pretty much have to either rebuild the car or fix that panel to flow with what was there.
I kinda think you are right Kerry. As goofy as it seems the assymetrical seems right, I've looked at this panel for a couple years and couldn't see it was this far out. Something about the flow makes it look right. I'll probably make it both ways and then let the car tell us what it wants.
As far as 'undamaged' panel there isn't a place on this body you can put your hand that didn't need metal work or replacing. Its the reason I haven't done a thread, I didn't want to document exactly how much work this car needed.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:30 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

OJ,
Symmetry is not what you get but what you make it.

After just 35 restorations, done back when I was a pup, I started to realize that you had to make it look right - but not necessary measure out right.
Templates/patterns help determine how far off, but I only need things to look right.

Although - I had one tough customer (aviation hall of fame AND automotive hall of fame, and etc etc) who made me template the whole car and make it all symmetric. And re-space all the hundreds of rivets. Tough job, endless nitpicks.

--and then there is the optical "conclusion" .... happens when it measures out but never looks right until it is tweaked.
sigh.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
OJ,
Symmetry is not what you get but what you make it.

After just 35 restorations, done back when I was a pup, I started to realize that you had to make it look right - but not necessary measure out right.
Templates/patterns help determine how far off, but I only need things to look right.

Although - I had one tough customer (aviation hall of fame AND automotive hall of fame, and etc etc) who made me template the whole car and make it all symmetric. And re-space all the hundreds of rivets. Tough job, endless nitpicks.

--and then there is the optical "conclusion" .... happens when it measures out but never looks right until it is tweaked.
sigh.
Thank you, Sir.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:38 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

I don’t know, I can certainly see some knots (collision damage) on the uni-body rail in the upper photo and possibly the lower photo as well. And you also hear stories about coach built cars not being all that accurate. Is the car you are working on mass produced or a coach built low volume deal ? Could the rails be asymmetrical ? Can you possibly find another car to pull profile templates from ? ~ John Buchtenkirch

P.S. This was the kind of thing that put knots in my stomach back when I did collision work…….. gee, I just don’t miss it .
Old 04-26-2018, 11:16 PM

I'd include some reference marks or include some existing holes in the pictures. Back off a foot or two on the picture. I don't think the pictures show enough. And I agree, I think both sides have been hit.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norson View Post
I'd include some reference marks or include some existing holes in the pictures. Back off a foot or two on the picture. I don't think the pictures show enough. And I agree, I think both sides have been hit.
This car has damage, it was road raced at one time and they must've been learning on it.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:29 PM

Maybe you should temple the side that will cover both.