All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Stuff For Sale > Heads Up Announcements
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-27-2019, 04:34 PM
MetalShaper of the Month August '15 Jan '17 Dec'17 Aug'19

Default Pettingell #1 Re-Release

Its only posted on Instagram only, so i figued i'd post it here for everybody... but there is a run of the NEW pettingell #1's being done for $11,950 complete with motor. http://www.pettingellmachineco.com/

pettingell1.jpg
Old 08-27-2019, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Well that's a game changer for the power hammer guys.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:18 PM

Two people I know bought double headers and pedestals . Had the opportunity to try one out and compare it to my old original. They are very nice and smooth.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:05 AM

I personally know Hans. Besides being a very accomplished hammerman he is fanatical about detail. If there is a job or project he is associated with, it will be top notch.

That goes for all the products he produces under his company banner, Pettingell Machine Co.

I have been around this stuff for a very long time and still to this day there never seems to be enough extra cash for most metalshapers to through down the kind of dollars for quality capital equipment. I always found it strange no one complains about spending $60-80K for machining center but that amount for metalshaping capital equipment stops the world. Of course that is a generalization but a key piece of equipment that supports a professional shop hopefully should always return a professional bill rate.

Will all that said, if you are thinking about wanting a hammer, buy one of these and don't back. This is a great value for the productivity it can offer.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:05 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

I’m kind of surprised they bothered reproducing the #1 hammer, it really doesn’t have much of a hit. Also note the drawing of the Pettingell spring via the link in post #1, you can clearly see the leaves are tapered in thickness at the ends in what I believe is an attempt to make the hammer have a smooth transition from a soft to hard hit. Okay, admittedly only my best guess at what they were trying to do something like a hundred years ago but it seems logical . ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 08-29-2019, 05:17 PM

I wasn't paying close enough attention to the fact that it is a #1 that they are now making. The new hammers that I saw, and the one I tried, were the #2 (not sure if they were the heavy or not). They are beautiful machines. I think they should be able to sell the # 1s readily based upon the price. It is a good machine and should be enough for most shops. Mine is a #1. It came out of Durham Body where it was in daily use for nearly 40 years. I would not try to stack shrink with it but it serves me well.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:35 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Rick, I believe the other hammer they are making is the most improved Pettingell, the #2M. The #2M has 2 pairs of strut rods, one pair below the crank and the second pair above the crank so the frame can’t twist when running and the hit point remains very consistent. Of course the massively heavy pedestal helps stop the hammer from twisting as well. I also think their duplicated 2M is the one with the extra deep throat. ~ John Buchtenkirch