All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-14-2019, 09:44 PM
RB86 RB86 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 114
Default Hand forming, learning

You'll have to forgive my amateur hour here, but I just wanted to share with my fellow metal shaping heads. After watching Peter Tommasini's monaro panel DVD, and acquiring some hand tools I've been having fun making scrap in the garage after work.

These pieces go to nothing, I just wanted to try making certain designs by hand. The DVD has me thinking about stretching the material first in an area to allow enough material to shape in the design features, as well as the tension or looseness in certain areas.

It's funny because it's so simple, but it was a bit of an "ah-ha" moment when I realized how these shapes/designs need opposing forces. If you're coming down on one side, the other side needs to come up.

I haven't spent too much time on these and clearly I need to work on metal finishing but I just wanted to say I'm excited.

Every step in getting closer to being able to identify a shape visualize it's process is really cool to me. The end goal being able to have all these mental tools and have freedom to let the creativity flow without hindrance in a lack of ability. And of course, this is the tip of the iceberg.

IMG_20190314_221709979_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190314_221729136_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190314_221825188.jpg

IMG_20190314_221838484.jpg

IMG_20190314_221849845.jpg

IMG_20190314_221856468.jpg

IMG_20190314_222037117.jpg
__________________
Rob
1950 Cadillac
1956 Cadillac
Looking to build my own car from scratch
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-15-2019, 01:29 AM
Jaroslav Jaroslav is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Czech Republic
Posts: 599
Default You are talented.

Every such piece is good for learning. To understand the direction of the fibers.
It gets serious when you want to do a second piece.
Even more serious when you need to do something else exactly according to size. Copy Part.
You must study paper template. You must study shape measurements in 3D. You have a talent. Now you need only 40 years of practice.
If you will then still remember what you did, you will find that there are many ways to go. Experience is not transferable. It is meditation and the path of each individual. Exist you and material. Duel or love. Scrap or good result. Good luck.
__________________
Jaroslav
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-15-2019, 03:40 AM
Peter Tommasini Peter Tommasini is offline
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Melbourne,Victoria, Australia
Posts: 7,714
Default

Rob
Those exercises you are doing are similar to what I was asked to do from my Boss when I started metalshaping , they will help you in the future when shaping a panel for real and knowing what the metal requires to do to move it

Do not be discouraged just keep going and change the type of shaping , joggles etc. At one point in your career you will glad you practice on those bits
Well done !!
Peter
__________________
P.Tommasini

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-15-2019, 03:44 AM
Gojeep Gojeep is offline
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Eastern Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,766
Default

Well done Rob.
I still refer back to my early learning pieces in my mind even today to figure out what needs to be stretched or shrunk to achieve the shape.
__________________
Marcus
aka. Gojeep
Victoria, Australia
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-15-2019, 06:30 AM
cliffrod cliffrod is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Spartanburg, SC
Posts: 1,709
Default

Good progress, Rob. Looks like fun.

One of the best lessons of practicing is learning about failure. Every effort will not produce a successful result- even after the mentioned 40 yrs- and it's best to get over that hump as soon as possible. I think you're well on the way. Making exact copies on purpose is great instruction as well. One is always better and one is always worse. Keep track of which one happens first.

Are you going to weld them together for more practice?
__________________
AC Button II
http://CarolinaSculptureStudio.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifzjA6A Carolina Sculpture Studio Channel
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-15-2019, 06:53 AM
RockHillWill RockHillWill is offline
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,893
Default

Nice work there, Rob. You clearly have keen perception skills as well as ambition and courage. Nice work!
__________________
Will
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-15-2019, 04:41 PM
RB86 RB86 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 114
Default

thank you all for the kind words. I think I've started a hammer addiction
__________________
Rob
1950 Cadillac
1956 Cadillac
Looking to build my own car from scratch
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-15-2019, 04:44 PM
RB86 RB86 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffrod View Post
Good progress, Rob. Looks like fun.

One of the best lessons of practicing is learning about failure. Every effort will not produce a successful result- even after the mentioned 40 yrs- and it's best to get over that hump as soon as possible. I think you're well on the way. Making exact copies on purpose is great instruction as well. One is always better and one is always worse. Keep track of which one happens first.

Are you going to weld them together for more practice?
Thanks Clint, I am getting pretty dang good at failure these days No plans to weld these scraps together, but I did get to try oxy/acetylene welding at Will's a few weeks ago. Very cool stuff. Eventually I'll get a gas setup.
__________________
Rob
1950 Cadillac
1956 Cadillac
Looking to build my own car from scratch
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-15-2019, 04:45 PM
RB86 RB86 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Well done Rob.
I still refer back to my early learning pieces in my mind even today to figure out what needs to be stretched or shrunk to achieve the shape.
Thanks Marcus - I'm currently helping build a 1950 willys truck and it just might be the death of me
__________________
Rob
1950 Cadillac
1956 Cadillac
Looking to build my own car from scratch
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-15-2019, 04:47 PM
RB86 RB86 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaroslav View Post
Every such piece is good for learning. To understand the direction of the fibers.
It gets serious when you want to do a second piece.
Even more serious when you need to do something else exactly according to size. Copy Part.
You must study paper template. You must study shape measurements in 3D. You have a talent. Now you need only 40 years of practice.
If you will then still remember what you did, you will find that there are many ways to go. Experience is not transferable. It is meditation and the path of each individual. Exist you and material. Duel or love. Scrap or good result. Good luck.
Thank you sir. I can imagine pulling my hair out when I make left side/right side parts for a car
__________________
Rob
1950 Cadillac
1956 Cadillac
Looking to build my own car from scratch
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.