All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-04-2017, 03:00 PM

Default caddy roadster (not what you may be thinking)

I teach at a high school tech center
We have currently started a project that will require a good bit of sheet metal fab. I have used this sight before showing students in my collision repair class ideas on shaping and creating patch panels.
We recently finished a cool project that got us grant money that we purchased some basic sheet metal forming tools. We now have a hand shrinker/stretcher, bench shear, shot bag with mallets, throatless shear, bead roller, tubing bender and notcher. We also have access to our HVAC shops stomp shear and 6 foot finger brake. I plan on covering basic sheetmetal techniques with my seniors.
Our current project is a Ed Roth inspired caddy roadster. I recently obtained a roached 1964 caddy from our local scrap yard. Our plan is to blend the front fenders with the rear QTRs to form a unique roadster body. The fab work will include a integrated chassis/body structure and custom interior and roof. It will be a finished painted car. (hopefully)
Here is a picture of the drawing of what we plan to build along with some initial mock up photos

Name:  caddy.jpg
Views: 2448
Size:  76.6 KB

Name:  photo (5).jpg
Views: 2338
Size:  80.5 KB

Name:  photo 4 (2).jpg
Views: 2305
Size:  82.7 KB

Name:  photo (7).jpg
Views: 2367
Size:  83.6 KB

Last edited by AWM; 12-04-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:23 PM

the plan is for something close to the Lunar Lander and this concept drawing.
we have also discussed building a bubble top. We are still in the planning stages. We are currently working out how to blend the QTRs and fenders together. We plan to blend the fin into the top of the fender and fade the fender styline into the QTR. Then raise/section the lower portion of the fender and fab a panel to blend this new lower fender section into the QTR.
Name:  lunar lander1.jpg
Views: 1902
Size:  48.4 KB

Name:  corvair.jpg
Views: 2230
Size:  9.7 KB

we're not scared of crazy projects, we shortened a full size bus 82 inches and slammed the crap out of it last year

Last edited by AWM; 12-05-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:18 PM

That looks pretty cool! is the front end going to be fitted with a single twin headlamp in the centre and the wings pinched together like an old hot rod. or is it just the perspective of the picture?
Old 12-04-2017, 06:09 PM

I like this, hurry up and get a frame under it.

Stop moving so fast, you're creating a breeze.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:42 PM

Awesome that shop class and automotive is still being taught somewhere!

I like where this project is going. Congrats to you and your students.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot rivet View Post
That looks pretty cool! is the front end going to be fitted with a single twin headlamp in the centre and the wings pinched together like an old hot rod. or is it just the perspective of the picture?
it will have all 4 lights
we plan to pinch the fenders in at the cowl and form a unique custom front
The hood will be sectioned and used as a engine cover and top of this grill area
The front area will be addressed after we figure out the front suspension
We plan on an old school straight axle mounted suicide style like an old hot rod with radius rods mounted through the fender well openings.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Great project Anthony. Do a search for "Burt Buck". It might help you to design how one panel flows into another. We're only a couple hours apart. If you could make it up this way, I'd be glad to spend some time with you and some of your kids showing them how to shape metal. My stuff is a bit too big to haul down and do something at your shop.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
Great project Anthony. Do a search for "Burt Buck". It might help you to design how one panel flows into another. We're only a couple hours apart. If you could make it up this way, I'd be glad to spend some time with you and some of your kids showing them how to shape metal. My stuff is a bit too big to haul down and do something at your shop.
wow, thanks
that may just be possible
will definitely look up Burt Buck as well
Old 12-05-2017, 10:23 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct 2016, June 2020, April 2023

That project is certainly exciting enough for a shop class. Wow!, Makes me want to get back in school.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:56 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
I teach at a high school tech center
We have currently started a project that will require a good bit of sheet metal fab. I have used this sight before showing students in my collision repair class ideas on shaping and creating patch panels.
We recently finished a cool project that got us grant money that we purchased some basic sheet metal forming tools. We now have a hand shrinker/stretcher, bench shear, shot bag with mallets, throatless shear, bead roller, tubing bender and notcher. We also have access to our HVAC shops stomp shear and 6 foot finger brake. I plan on covering basic sheetmetal techniques with my seniors.
Our current project is a Ed Roth inspired caddy roadster. I recently obtained a roached 1964 caddy from our local scrap yard. Our plan is to blend the front fenders with the rear QTRs to form a unique roadster body. The fab work will include a integrated chassis/body structure and custom interior and roof. It will be a finished painted car. (hopefully)
Here is a picture of the drawing of what we plan to build along with some initial mock up photos

Attachment 44405

Attachment 44406

Attachment 44407

Attachment 44408
WHY NOT !!!
Great idea.
... and encourages design, development, creativity, and the automotive shop skills (aside from CAD 3D printing, machining ...)
Yeehaw!

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.