All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-30-2014, 07:24 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Default Need Jaguar XK150 for upcoming project.

Not sure if this is the appropriate section, but looking for leads to possibly acquire a 1958 - 1960 Jaguar XK150 frame and suspension, 16" wire wheel knock offs and/or motor would be a plus, for possible use in upcoming metal shaping project. Any leads appropriate, PM me if you like. RHD a plus.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:09 PM
Member MetalShaper of the Month Nov 2013

Not an answer to your search, but I'm interested.

I had a 1959 XK-150 roadster for many years. It looked exactly like this.

except mine was painted Indigo, a very dark blue.

I am wondering why you would choose this chassis and suspension to build a car on. It leaves a lot to be desired, although as did all of the old William Lyons built Jaguars, it had a certain mystique that was . . . well, that had you fall in love with them.

But really, they handled like a truck. On corduroy roads the heavy solid rear axle would try to bounce you off the road. And steering it took brute strength. I never saw a woman driving one. The greatest joy was that XK engine; it had a sound, and a power range that was superb. The zero to sixty acceleration was just ordinary, but from sixty to a hundred and thirty was where the XK really showed its stuff.

Another problem was those Dunlop wire wheels. Not so much the wheels but the hubs. The splines would wear down and the wheels would spin on the hubs on heavy braking. I don't know how it is now but back in the late 60's and 70's the factory stopped selling hubs and to find them was almost impossible. Those 16 inch wheels were better looking than the 15 inch wheels they used on the E type.

I started driving an E Type and what a difference. What a totally extraordinary automobile. The factory guaranteed it to do 150 MPH off of the showroom floor. I maintain that for the money the XK E is the finest automobile ever made. $3700 in 1962 when an equivalent car, a Ferrari, cost $15,000. Of course that's no good for you; they were monocoque, no chassis at all. And most of them rusted and broke in half. The steel Jaguar used seemed to rust faster than the steel used in any other car.

Richard

When I die heaven can wait, I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

My sculpture web page http://www.fantaciworks.com
Old 12-01-2014, 07:17 PM

For the tread width and frame platform, mostly. Any frame with the flat chassis style had NO torsional rigidity to speak of resulting in a high frequency number for the base 'platform', from which corner spring oscillation rates would harmonic and the 'feel' would be very poor. I believe I can counter that issue on this build. Anyone wanting a good handling car knows better than to purchase a convertible because you cannot generate much in the way of torsional stability with no upper structure.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:04 AM

Hi Will,

This Guy makes new chassis' for the XK150, running gear comes up on ebay or through the club, try www.Jag-lovers.org as well

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-xk1...item35e04896b5

No matter how clever you think you are, stupidity is always one step ahead!!!!
Old 12-02-2014, 07:38 AM

Hello Martin. I am aware of these folks from my research, but I am more interest in what I would hope to be an inexpensive frame and running gear for use in a prototype situation, as opposed to a great deal of money until it has been determines to be a useable design. Thanks for sharing. We would not need a complete car or any body or motor.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:15 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct 2016, June 2020, April 2023

Will, did the E type stuff not fit your needs?
Old 12-02-2014, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Will, I kind of went through all this when I started the roadster project. At that time, the availability of XK120-150 chassis/running gear was very scarce and high priced. Not to mention, those that I did find were worn out.

For what you're trying to do, I'd think you would be miles and dollars ahead to build from scratch using a 9' Ford rear end and Mustang II front end, or possibly the Corvette stuff like I used.

Knockoffs and wire wheels will add thousands to your project cost. I never even FOUND any large diameter wire wheels that had the right spoke length. You can find lots of lowrider and gangsta wires but that's the wrong look. I have since found these folks:

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewP...eIndexID=29914

The knockoff hubs and spindles are going to be high dollar.

Fatman offers a narrow version build for Jags so that might be an option.

http://tech.fatmanfabrications.co/he...ont-frame-stub
Old 12-02-2014, 09:35 AM

Good morning Mike,

Yes, the XKE stuff will be great to work with, but I am having trouble finding another XKE 'group' like those. The item you provided to Jim are VERY nice, and will be a pleasure to work with, but only enough for one car. THANKS!
Old 12-02-2014, 10:11 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct 2016, June 2020, April 2023

I know of another scrap E type sitting in field . All body panels have been kicked in and interior filled to the windows with sand. Probably could be had if someone wanted bad enough. Cheap, much work and condition un knowable.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:53 AM

Try an MGA , the frames are really beefy. and they are not too expensive.

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/frame/frame.htm

James