All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Default Head light parts from drawing posted on MM

Cal Davis posted some drawing on Metalmeet of some headlight parts and asked if anyone was interested in trying to make them. They didn't look that hard to make so I waited to see what would come of the post. Lots of discussion but not much in the way of people showing what they had done. I though that maybe they were harder to make than I thought so I decided to make them. The first try was not to the dimensions on the drawing because I couldn't read them on the drawing but the part came out okay. Jim Russell sent me a better set of drawing last night so this morning I went out in the shop and started making the three pieces. They still need some additional finish work but they don't look too bad now. Still have to figure out how to make the hole in the outer ring and what I will need for a die.

Attached are the picture of what I did this morning.

Name:  MVC-020S.JPG
Views: 646
Size:  20.6 KB

Name:  MVC-021S.JPG
Views: 640
Size:  19.8 KB

Name:  MVC-022S.JPG
Views: 664
Size:  20.0 KB

Name:  MVC-023S.JPG
Views: 660
Size:  27.9 KB

Name:  MVC-024S.JPG
Views: 650
Size:  23.4 KB

Name:  MVC-025S.JPG
Views: 642
Size:  19.6 KB

Name:  MVC-026S.JPG
Views: 637
Size:  16.8 KB

This was a fun project and I have about 4 hours in making the parts. I used my Nibbler to cut the ring. Bead roller and several sets of dies to do the joggles and flatted the parts. Tipping wheel to mark lines for bends. Shrinker/stretcher with Eckold dies to form some of the shapes. Beater bag and hammers to shape, planishing hammer to get some of the shape in the inner and outer ring. Also used some post dollies, hammer and slappers to get some of the shapes. Welds were done with oxy/acet, haven't done any gas welding in many years but it is coming back. Biggest problem is that I can't see as well as I could when I did a lot of gas welding.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Administrator

That is incredible Joe.

I want to make my outer ring out of aluminum.I might have a few questions when I get to it.

Awesome thread.

This forum is dedicated to Metal Shaping.
Please stay on topic.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:35 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2015

Joe, what material did you use?
Old 11-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Bob it is either 18 or 19 gage mild steel. It was a piece big enough that was by the shear.

BTW you nibbler should handle 20 gage stainless. Mine has no trouble with it.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Administrator

When I made the parts no special tooling was used. The center piece is the quickest and easiest to make. Cut the donut blank out in my Nibbler medium. Set up the bead roller with a tipping die and a stop for where the angled piece started. Ran the tipping die around to mark the metal and give it a line to bend around. Lifted on the outside of the ring while I was tipping. The outside of the ring will rise up. With a hammer and a sand bag you hit the inside edge until the outside is flat. Go slow and keep turning the piece hitting as you turn the piece. When it is flat go back to the bead roller and repeat the process again, then back to the beater bag. When you get the angle about right put it in a planishing hammer and smooth it all out. Probably have 45 minutes in that piece. I made the ring a little bigger than the print so that it would fit tight inside the outter ring. Once you get all the pieces made you can then planish all the pieces together to get them perfectly round and make them together nicely. I still have a little more planishing to do but don't want to do more on that until I have the holes in the outter ring.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:43 AM
Administrator

I have been trying to figure out how to make the depressed holes in the outer ring without much luck. Have only tried it cold, have been able to make a nice looking hole but the bottom of the hole doesn't have much of a bottom. Have tried several different dies but get basically the same results, nice entry hole and sides but no bottom. One thing that this proves is that if you have a hole in the bottom and press it the hole does get bigger and you can form sides in the hole.

If anyone has an idea Please post it.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:48 AM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Looks good Joe I cant quite get my head around how you made them. Its nice to see you have use oxy acetylene welding.

David

All things are possible.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Administrator

David, when I started working with metal in late 50's all I had for welding was Oxy/Acet. so that is what I used until the 80's on sheet metal. Since then I have used Mig and Tig also to weld sheet metal. Gas welding does produce a softer more malable weld. I have a Henrob that when I get it all set up I will learn how to use it for welding aluminum, this should happen in the near future. As you get older you will find that your eye sight is not what it once was and believe me that has an affect on you welding. If you can weld with gas you can weld with the other processes in my opinion it is the one to learn on first.

One the head light parts.

The main body ring was made by cutting a strip of metal to the proper length and rolling it in a slip roll to form a circle then welding it together. I then marked where I wanted the first step. Set up my bead roller with step dies and produces a step to the proper depth. Took the part to a shrinker and shrunk the metal on the outside of the step a little at a time until it was the right size. Put the part back in the bead roller and made the next step to form the roll over on the outside edge. Had a guide, fence setup to keep the distance correct when I used the bead roller. Trimmed the inside diameter to the proper dimension. That made the body ring.

For the trim ring I cut a strip and rolled it in the slip roll and welded it. Made sure that the ID fit the step down on the body ring. Marked off where I wanted the radius to start on the ring and put it in the bead roller and tipped a line. Took the part to the shrinker and started shrinking the metal from the line out a little at a time until I had about the correct shape and decrease in diameter. Next when to the planishing hammer and with die of the correct shape started smoothing the roll over and removing all of the marks from shrinking.

Made the inner ring by cutting a donut on the proper size so that the OD would fit inside the body ring and there was a hole, ID of the ring about the right size. Set up the bead roller with a tipping wheel and fence so that I could roll a line at the proper distance from the outside edge. This gave the metal a place to bent. Lifted the ring as I turned it so that the outside edge was bent down. This is opposite of what you want the part to look like. Went to the beater bag and started stretching the ID a little at a time as I turned the ring in the bag. Worked from the outside to the inside. This caused the outside of the ring to become flat and the inside to form a cone shape. I repeated the process until I had the correct dimensions and angle. When it was close I put it in the planishing hammer to smooth the inside cone shape. Didn't take much work in the planishing hammer to get the part smooth.

Still have to trim the trim ring to the proper height but have to put in the recessed holes first. Haven't figured out how to do the holes yet. My tries to this so far have resulted in a nice clean hole without a bottom. I am not sure how to get the recess and keep the bottom without spending a lot of time making a special die. Haven't tried to do it by heating a small area yet.

Hope this helps answer the question on how I made the parts.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:42 AM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Thanks for posting that Joe,

David

All things are possible.