All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Shop Safety
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2017, 08:20 AM

Default Breathing in Mig fumes and abrasives question

Hi guys hoping to get some second opinions on some health related aspects of mig welding and general body repair. Basically I'm wondering if other people get sick like I do from inhaling mig welding fumes and dust particles from flap discs and abrasives, even when the metal has been cleaned as much as possible to remove paints, primers, chemicals etc. I've gone to the lengths of buying a face mask which helps a lot and having a fan nearby to increase fresh airflow helps too, but no one else I know takes these measures and I don't know if it's just me that's affected like this.
My symptoms when affected are:

Feeling thirsty
Inability to sleep easily
Clouded thinking
Lethargy

I'm particularly affected by galvanized metals which I rarely work on, it gives off this thin, opaque but wispy white smoke, if I go anywhere near that I'm in for feeling rough for a couple of days. There is a primer on some sheet metal that I sometimes have to use, that also gives off similar smoke and has similar effects but it's not galvanized that's for sure. I always do as much as I can to get all possible coatings off metals.

When I first started serious welding 2 years ago, it was on a monster weldathon on a Ford Transit that was literally 6 months of weekends welding, and during that time I (naively) didn't use any real body protection other than a welding mask and goggles, and since then I seem to have had these adverse reactions to welding fumes which I never remember having before. I'm unsure if my condition was caused by all that unprotected welding or if it's just a normal thing that I'm affected by, which I'd much prefer as I'm concerned that I've just breathed in too many nasty fumes from paint, under seal, rust and welding in the past and I've made myself extra sensitive to it.

Does anyone else regularly go to such lengths to protect themselves from working?

Many thanks