All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Shop Safety
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-14-2014, 08:42 AM

Default Living with Coumadin and Working with Sheet Metal

Hi Guys,
I need some input from any of you who are doing sheet metal work and are on one of the varieties of Coumadin (rat poison). As you may well have guessed this is a very serious situation when you work with any type of materials that can injure you with cuts, scrapes and/or deep wounds from runaway grinding disks. Ask me how I know about that one! I don't want to "Bleed Out".
I'm looking for someone that will be willing to converse with me about our hobby of metal shaping and safety with them being on a blood thinner like I'm having to do. Any comments or suggestions? I sure would appreciate a reply.
Thanks and Peace,
Charles Fennen, Artist
charles-fennen.artistwebsites.com

SAVE THE EARTH: It's the only planet with chocolate!
Old 04-14-2014, 10:50 AM

I've been on Coumadim for several periods in my life and wored with tools during those periods. As Cary said, the main deal is to get the INR or protime tests. Those tests are required often because the ability of you blood to clot is affected by the diet you eat. As most of us don't eat the same things day after day the INR level can fluctuate quite a bit. Some foods affect the INR more than others. Ask your doctor lots of questions and try to understand what and how the drug and tests work.

There are lots of people on Warfarin (Coumadin) who are doing well, most are. The good thing about this drug is that it has an antidote. If something happens an antidote can be used to negate the effects of the drug.

There are a group of new drugs that work differently, they are not as dependent on diet and don't require periodic testing. HOWEVER, there is NO ANTIDOTE for these drugs.
-------Ask your doctor what happens then? -----
The ads for these drugs are on TV often.

Most of the bleeding danger is internal as I understand. Again ask questions and do some research. Lots of info about this subject on the web.

An organization on the web to look at is Stopafib.org
"StopAfib.org is a patient-to-patient resource to help you control your atrial fibrillation so it doesn't rule your life.
Though atrial fibrillation impacts women and their families, we're not here just for women, but for anyone—patients, families, and caregivers—living with the life-changing impact of atrial fibrillation. You are not alone".

For those of you wondering what this is all about; people with atrial fibbulaton also known as Afib or AF in Austrailia are using blood thinners (anticoagulants) to reduce the risk of blood clots and subsequent strokes. Afib is a common problem. You probably know someone who has it . Ask around.

Having been adversely affected by prescription drugs myself for many years, I strongly recommend you ask lots of questions and know the possible effects of any drug.